Asus DirectCU II Radeon HD 7870 Black screen / seems to loose signal

Kashbringer

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Hello ladies and gents,

I have searched and searched and have yet to find a solution to my problem. With my new graphics card (Asus DirectCU II Radeon HD 7870) I am experiencing a random black screen only on my main monitor (Dual monitor set up), seems like it losses signal but the monitor is not saying so. I can cycle it back to HDMI option and the picture comes back on or turn the monitor off and on and it works. It seems to happen at random times and more so while gaming. Also, it happens with HDMI or DVI plugged in, but always only on the main monitor. I am running the 12.9 beta drivers as the problem was also in 12.8 drivers, I used driver sweeper and did a clean install of the new drivers, also updated my BIOS. This is getting rather frustrating so any help would be greatly appreciated. I hope I don't need to return the car back to Frys electronics as I stupidly threw away the main box.

My specs.
AMD PHENOM II X4 955 Overclocked at 3.8GHZ (Running liquid cooling)
ASUS AMD M4A77T/USB3 AM3 CHIPSET 770 DDR3 1666+ USB 3.0
Asus DirectCU II Radeon HD 7870
Antec 750w Powersupply
Corsair Vengance 16GBs Ram
Main monitor - Asus VE276Q 27" Widescreen HD LCD Monitor
2nd montior - Samsung Syncmaster 906BW 19'

Card is not overheating as it idles at 38c and tops at 49C in games. The card is also running stock clocks for now. Nothing like this happened on my old 6850HD card and same set up.

cl-scott

Honorable
Just a couple of quick questions.

1: When you say you tried it with HDMI and DVI, did you use some kind of an adapter or how exactly did you go about doing that?

2: If you physically swap the cables at the card, so that the primary display is now on the secondary port and the other way around, does the problem then switch to the other monitor?

Kashbringer

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012
Thank you for the quick response.
1. I am not using any adapters just the actual cables.
2. My 2nd monitor does not have a HDMI port but I did try running everything on the 2nd monitor alone for around 40-45 mins and I could not replicate the problem. Soon as I go back to the regular set up it happened again.

Kashbringer

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

Still having trouble, have also been trying different settings for the graphics card but not luck. Any other ideas?

cl-scott

Honorable

Sorry, somehow I missed this response until just now.

While ideally you would be able to just swap both monitors, the fact that the issue does not seem to follow to the second monitor if you change the port on the video card it's connected to, it would suggest that the issue is either with the cable going to the first monitor or the first monitor itself.

Kashbringer

Honorable
Oct 15, 2012

So far it seems that you are correct on the cable issue. Even though before even coming to this site I tried 3 different HDMI cables and they all did the same.. I ordered a Mini DisplayPort to DisplayPort cable and since last night I have yet to have one problem. Maybe those HDMI cables were just poor quality ones... So far so good.. So thank you very much for your help and I'll be back in anything changes lol.