Question Asus Error code 55, No display

Sep 5, 2018
So I noticed my cpu was running at really hot temps, so I take off my cooler, put new thermal paste on, and put the cooler back on. I turn the pc back on and get no display but with error 55 on my motherboard.

Here’s what i’ve tried:
Loosening the cooler
tightening the cooler
reseating the cpu
resetting the cmos
tested each stick of ram individually (got the same error)
unplggged everything except for the cpu power, 24 pin connector, ram, and cooler
i’ve checked for any broken/bent pins on the motherboard

does anyone know why this is happening?

Could you provide us with your system components?
Error 55 on Asus motherboards is related to RAM.

Check that you RAM is correctly seated, try one stick at the time.
Make sure your CPU was installed correctly and there isn't any damage done to it.

Sep 5, 2018
Could you provide us with your system components?
Error 55 on Asus motherboards is related to RAM.

Check that you RAM is correctly seated, try one stick at the time.
Make sure your CPU was installed correctly and there isn't any damage done to it.
As I stated in my post, I’ve checked each ram stick individually and made sure they’re all seated correctly, and made sure the cpu is not damaged
My system components are:
an i7-4770k (non oc)
GTX 1060 3GB
Asus Maximus VI hero motherboard
ThermalTake water 3.0 cooler
12 GB DDR3 Ram

Sep 5, 2018
Check all the CPU cooler standoffs and make sure they are properly installed, especially the two near the A1 & A2 RAM slots.

Just place a RAM module on either B1 or B2 slot and see if it posts.
Checked all the standoffs and they are installed correctly, still doesn’t post with a module in B1 or B2

Sep 5, 2018
Are the metal standoffs making contact with the motherboard or there are washers installed?

Do you have any other compatible cooler you could try?
It could be an air cooler.
The metal standoffs are as tight as they will go and they do not touch the motherboard itsel, and i’ve even tried it with no cooler on at all to see if it’ll atleast post with no luck

Sep 5, 2018
The metal standoffs are as tight as they will go and they do not touch the motherboard itsel, and i’ve even tried it with no cooler on at all to see if it’ll atleast post with no luck
Update: Slot B2 detects ram and doesn’t give me an error, but no other slots do. The cpu doesn’t look to have any physical damage nor does the motherboard pins so I’m hoping it’s not an issue with that. Also, when I try running dual channel with A2 and B2 it gives error 55 again.

If you haven't done it, unplug the power cord from the PSU, press the power button for 15-20 seconds then remove the CMOS battery.
Place the CMOS battery back
Move the RTC jumper cap from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3...wait 10 seconds then move RTC jumper cap back to pins 1-2.
Remove the GPU.

Try again with the CPU and one RAM module.

Sep 5, 2018
If you haven't done it, unplug the power cord from the PSU, press the power button for 15-20 seconds then remove the CMOS battery.
Place the CMOS battery back
Move the RTC jumper cap from pins 1-2 to pins 2-3...wait 10 seconds then move RTC jumper cap back to pins 1-2.
Remove the GPU.

Try again with the CPU and one RAM module.
Still no luck. B2 is the only dimm that works right now

If only one RAM slot is working then one of this issue is causing it.
There is a short on motherboard or case... usually caused by standoffs (motherboard or CPU cooler).
Uneven CPU cooler installation
Bent socket pins (check with magnifying glass)
Failing motherboard.

Sep 5, 2018
If only one RAM slot is working then one of this issue is causing it.
There is a short on motherboard or case... usually caused by standoffs (motherboard or CPU cooler).
Uneven CPU cooler installation
Bent socket pins (check with magnifying glass)
Failing motherboard.
My standoffs for my cpu cooler aren’t directly touching my motherboard and my motherboard standoffs themselves haven’t been touched in about a year or so. How could I check if my motherboard is failing?

Most people wouldn't have an extra motherboard (LGA 1150) lying around, so you might have to get one or take your PC to a repair shop.
Since the error appeared after you moved the CPU, it could be bent pins on the motherboard or the CPU is not evenly set on the socket.

Sep 5, 2018
Most people wouldn't have an extra motherboard (LGA 1150) lying around, so you might have to get one or take your PC to a repair shop.
Since the error appeared after you moved the CPU, it could be bent pins on the motherboard or the CPU is not evenly set on the socket.
Oh no the error occurred when I reseated my cooler, I only reseated my cpu after the error because I had to check to see if it somehow got damaged or if pins were bent, which none were

Sep 5, 2018
I did, and once I put it back on i got the error, so i took it back off, took out the cpu and made sure nothing was bent or broken, put the cpu back in and then put the cooler on once again

Sep 5, 2018
This somehow makes what jojesa said earlier more likely.

If you tighten cooler screws too tightly (especially if it is uneven on one side) the socket and the closest RAM slots would be a bit bent/warped and won't function properly.
Yeah, that’s what i thought too. But at this point i’ve reseated the cooler about 4 times making sure to evenly screw in all screws in an X pattern

Yeah, that’s what i thought too. But at this point i’ve reseated the cooler about 4 times making sure to evenly screw in all screws in an X pattern
Try placing a couple of washers on the two standoffs close to the RAM slots.
It could be that the cooler mounting hardware arrived bent (from manufacturer) and it its causing the issue.
I have seen that a couple of times when the RAM slots are too close to the mounting holes.

Sep 5, 2018
Try placing a couple of washers on the two standoffs close to the RAM slots.
It could be that the cooler mounting hardware arrived bent (from manufacturer) and it its causing the issue.
I have seen that a couple of times when the RAM slots are too close to the mounting holes.
I’ve also noticed that even if I have a module placed in a working slot, if i place one in a non working slot it doesn’t detect any ram even though i have one in the working slot. If i don’t have any ram in any slot I get code 53 rather than 55