Asus G751J RAM upgrade not working

Jbrown832

Distinguished
May 17, 2011
Specs:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 10 Home
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4750HQ CPU @ 2.00GHz, 1995 Mhz, 4 Core(s), 8 Logical Processor(s)
BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. G751JT.208, 26/05/2015
BaseBoard Manufacturer ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC.
16gb RAM

I purchased 2 8gb sticks from Crucial using there system checker to ensure I got the right memory (DDR3L - 1600SODIMM 1.35V CL11)

Popped the back of my laptop open and slotted in the 2 sticks in the available space, ensuring the ram was firmly in place (I've upgraded RAM before no problems).

I try to switch on my machine and the power light holds for 30 seconds, black screen, then switches back off.

I'm assuming my BIOS isn't up to date, because it's the correct memory and I've inserted it properly. However I'm not too sure how I go about updating my BIOS... or how to check it needs updating.

I've looked at the available BIOS files on the ASUS drivers page and there's 5 files all with newer dates than my current BIOS date 26/05/2015

BIOS 207
support Nvidia G-sync function only on G-sync SKU

BIOS 208
Support G-sync function for CPU i7-4850HQ, i7-4750HQ.

BIOS 209
Update EC FW

BIOS 210
Update EC FW

BIOS 211
To fix system hanging issue (code 0x72)

Do I have to install these one by one in order?

Solution
1| It's a good idea to go one by one mainly because a jump in BIOS revisions can often result in a bricked endeavor and a heavy and expensive paper weight.

2| You're well within the 32GB maximum ram capacity so the BIOS update should help you out but for the sake of relevance, can you please pass on your ram kit specs/link?

3| You're on BIOS revision 208
so you should move from 209 onwards. As of this writing there is a version 211 available as well.

4| Now since you're on Windows 10, is it based off the free upgrade path or a licence key? Might want to try reinstalling your OS after the BIOS update fails to bring fruition to your ram upgrade.

Lutfij

Titan
1| It's a good idea to go one by one mainly because a jump in BIOS revisions can often result in a bricked endeavor and a heavy and expensive paper weight.

2| You're well within the 32GB maximum ram capacity so the BIOS update should help you out but for the sake of relevance, can you please pass on your ram kit specs/link?

3| You're on BIOS revision 208
so you should move from 209 onwards. As of this writing there is a version 211 available as well.

4| Now since you're on Windows 10, is it based off the free upgrade path or a licence key? Might want to try reinstalling your OS after the BIOS update fails to bring fruition to your ram upgrade.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS