Question Asus Gaming Laptop for Video Editing - which one, or neither?

Feb 9, 2024
Dear Community,

I am looking for a Windows laptop to replace my 2018 XPS 9570, which died last week.

At my local computer store (Bic Camera in Tokyo), I found an Asus gaming laptop with apparently good spec's/price, but I wanted to check with someone more knowledgeable before going ahead.

There were two on offer for the same price ($1300 with 3-year extended warranty), model numbers FX507ZC4-I7R3050 and FX507ZV4-I7R4060.

The spec's are the same except for the GPU: Core i7-12700H processor, 16GB DDR-4-3200 single memory slot (which can be swapped for 32GB), 512GB SSD, 144 Hz display, Windows 11 Home.

The first has an RTX 3050 Laptop GPU with 4GB VRAM, the second an RTX 4060 Laptop GPU with 8GB VRAM.

I don't game, only edit HD and the occasional 4k video shot from my iPhone in Premiere Pro for a kids education YouTube channel, and do some work in Photoshop and Illustrator. I am a teacher and use the computer to display educational materials to kids during lessons.

Could you comment on the expected reliability of these options? The XPS needed a new screen and mobo within the first 3 years and another new mobo in year 5 before I decided to get a new machine. I would be happy with 3 years of continuous use without problems.

Overall, are these going to be good for my needs, and if so should I go with the better video card?

Thanks for your advice,
Chris

Rokinamerica

Estimable
Nov 30, 2021
I still use on a regular basis my 2016 MSI laptop.

Best practices? I clean install Windows, I keep my laptop insides and fans clear of dust and blow it out every 6 months or so.

I also make sure I have backups and use my C drive for OS and programs and keep data on my D drive so in the event I need to reinstall windows, I only need to reinstall the programs, but my data is untouched on the D drive.

Enjoy your new purchase.

Feb 9, 2024
I still use on a regular basis my 2016 MSI laptop.

Best practices? I clean install Windows, I keep my laptop insides and fans clear of dust and blow it out every 6 months or so.

I also make sure I have backups and use my C drive for OS and programs and keep data on my D drive so in the event I need to reinstall windows, I only need to reinstall the programs, but my data is untouched on the D drive.

Enjoy your new purchase.
Do you have two separate drives or partition one drive to achieve that? I asked about this, and they said there is only one drive slot.

Feb 9, 2024
Dear Community,

I am deciding between an Asus gaming laptop and a Microsoft Surface Laptop. The Surface is $600+ more for similar specs (Core i7-12700H processor, RTX 4060 GPU, 16GB RAM, 512GB SSD). I will use it for video editing in Adobe in HD and 4k and displaying the resulting materials to my students in class.

Which do you recommend for likelihood I will be able to use it for at least three years uninterrupted for major repairs?

Thanks for your advice.

Last edited:

NedSmelly

Prominent
Feb 11, 2024
The 'gaming' laptops are generally more user upgrade-friendly, allowing removal of bottom plates to swap out RAM, SSDs, and batteries. The Surfaces used to be non-serviceable and glued together, but this is improving. The surface might also be preferred if portability is important - I have Gigabyte Aero which is great for video editing, but its bulk and weight adds up quickly when you include the 230W power supply.

Edit: just noticed your GPU question. 4GB VRAM might be fine for 1080p HD, but I wouldn't go any less than 8GB VRAM if you're editing 4K video.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluebeltlife
Feb 9, 2024
The 'gaming' laptops are generally more user upgrade-friendly, allowing removal of bottom plates to swap out RAM, SSDs, and batteries. The Surfaces used to be non-serviceable and glued together, but this is improving. The surface might also be preferred if portability is important - I have Gigabyte Aero which is great for video editing, but its bulk and weight adds up quickly when you include the 230W power supply.

Edit: just noticed your GPU question. 4GB VRAM might be fine for 1080p HD, but I wouldn't go any less than 8GB VRAM if you're editing 4K video.
Thanks, went with the 8GB option. The 230W is a brick! The body of the computer says it can charge up to 100W by USB-C, have to test that. Otherwise, lack of biometrics is somewhat inconvenient. Others have recommended a clean install of Windows, but I didn't notice a lot of bloatware in the factory version. I did a clean install with the Dell, and that sure didn't prevent any issues. Will see how we go as I continue setting things up.