Question Asus gaming laptop randomly bricked

Robbie-jay Bower

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
Hi,

My girlfriend was on my laptop, and when she turned it on she said there was some sort of error screen that popped up. She panicked and turned off the laptop. Turns out she said it might have said bios update. So maybe my laptop tried updating the bios for some reason idk.

Anyway, now the laptop wont turn on, the lights don't come on when i plug it in or anything. I removed the battery by taking it apart (and snapping a tiny bit of plastic off the connector while doing so, lets hope asus warrenty dont notice if I have to send them it). Aswell as resetted the cmos battery and still nothing.

Any ideas?

model number: asus fx502vm

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
As far as i know, BIOS updates are not automatic. To update BIOS, you need to manually initialize it from BIOS. Unless a malware did it for you (e.g rootkit).

If it indeed was a BIOS update, the interruption of it will brick the MoBo.

Here, i can't tell what went wrong since there is no error message for me to go on. With that, your best bet is to RMA your laptop.

Life lesson: before taking any fast/drastic measure, read what the error message actually says. Writing it down or taking a pic of it for further research/troubleshooting is also very helpful. (That's what i do when i see an error message i have not seen before.)

Robbie-jay Bower

Reputable
Aug 27, 2014
As far as i know, BIOS updates are not automatic. To update BIOS, you need to manually initialize it from BIOS. Unless a malware did it for you (e.g rootkit).

If it indeed was a BIOS update, the interruption of it will brick the MoBo.

Here, i can't tell what went wrong since there is no error message for me to go on. With that, your best bet is to RMA your laptop.

Life lesson: before taking any fast/drastic measure, read what the error message actually says. Writing it down or taking a pic of it for further research/troubleshooting is also very helpful. (That's what i do when i see an error message i have not seen before.)

Yeah ik I told her she should have asked me what it was not just turn it off.

I've been emailing back and forth and they can only offer me a repair. However i've heard lots of horror stories about asus repair so I decided to go back to the retailer instead. At first they said no because my 12 month warranty was over. However after me quoting the laws in the UK for the sales of goods etc, they seemed to have given in. However they have told me I need to get it analysed by a qualified technician and fill out a fault report to send to them in order to see if i'm able to get a replacement or not

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Yes, according to the EU laws, sold goods (electronics among them) must have at least 2 years of warranty. If the OEM only gives 1 year, the 2nd year is covered by the retailer. Though, i'm not quite familiar with UK laws but according to the laws here in Estonia, it's the retailer's job to figure out what went wrong, not the consumer's job.

While i haven't dealt with Asus customer support by myself, i've heared that Asus offers a good customer support. But as far as the repair goes and if Asus techs find out that user was in the error, you'd be sticked with the repair bill.