Asus Kills Dual-boot Notebook to Please Microsoft, Google

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
ASUS Kill AMD & ARM chips to please Intel too
Even more nonsense. First, they just announced new AMD motherboards. Second, they still sell AMD-based laptops, but naturally, they suck, because it's AMD. Whose fault is it that AMD can't put out anything to compete with Intel chips? Asus has ARM-based devices too, I'm holding a Mediatek (sadly) based MemoPad HD 7 right now. They do have Intel x86 based devices too and I don't see a problem with it, they're affordable, powerful and energy-efficient enough. If that's "pleasing Intel", I'm all for it.

sonofliberty08

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
ASUS Kill AMD & ARM chips to please Intel too
Even more nonsense. First, they just announced new AMD motherboards. Second, they still sell AMD-based laptops, but naturally, they suck, because it's AMD. Whose fault is it that AMD can't put out anything to compete with Intel chips? Asus has ARM-based devices too, I'm holding a Mediatek (sadly) based MemoPad HD 7 right now. They do have Intel x86 based devices too and I don't see a problem with it, they're affordable, powerful and energy-efficient enough. If that's "pleasing Intel", I'm all for it.
they use to hv AMD laptops on the line few years back, but now their low end laptops line are all came with crappy Atom-based Celeron that even sucks big time, i use to be an ASUS fans for many years, but now i'll just look for others manufacturer, Lenovo hv a Thinkpad that came with latest AMD Kabini APU, and MSI hv AMD-based Gaming laptops, they all rocks! and i will also going to skip ASUS fonepad and Zenfon that pack with crappy Intel Atom inside, they sucks and yucks

phyfell

Reputable
Mar 17, 2014
Aw, what a shame for all those people who don't know how to install a second operating system on a computer. If only Linux was capable of doing practically everything that Android is...oh wait; it CAN, because it IS LINUX!!!

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
This article is pure spin service. It's amusing to me, reading over the comments, how roughly half of the comments blame Microsoft and half blame Google. Ummm, what about putting the blame on Asus where it belongs? The article suggests that MS and Google quashed the device, but it doesn't suggest how. The more accurate portrayal is that ASUS didn't want to pay the higher license fees and is lashing out with poison PR.

MidnightDistort

Distinguished
May 11, 2012
Well i am putting the blame on everyone. Though using Android in a dual boot OS just seems impractical. Would have possibly been better if they just put on Ubuntu or some other Linux distro but then i wonder if MS would start snarling at Asus for doing the same thing.

I'm up for dual booting devices from vendor PC's but i think this was a very lousy attempt at doing so, if not as bad as the first incarnation of W8. Asus's dual boot would not encourage me to buy one, nor getting a chromebook when i can simply build my own PC and put the OS of my choice on it. Maybe HP and Dell will have better thought out solutions if they decide to go with dual booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS