Asus laptop OC help plz

inuyashafly

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2005
i have a asus n71jq wich has a i7 prosessor. i want to do 2 things cuz frankly a highter clock will help me more then 8 cores.
1. i want to shut off hyperthreading
2. see about OC ing

BUT i cant find anything about either in the bios. there should be some kind of asus easy overclock option. but i cant find it! I know a few Desktop mobos i have had I needed to unlock a like hidden sectioon to change clock speeds etc.

i have looked all over the net and am about to CRY T_T lol someone help PLZ lol

THANKS!

moody89

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2009
Laptops aren't really built for overclocking so I would be very cautious if you do attempt this and keep a close eye on your temps. Laptops don't tend to have the airflow and ventilation capacities of desktop systems and they can get very hot very quickly. If you do go ahead with the OC just keep a close eye on your temps at all times.

Many laptops have their BIOS locked by default. I know on several I have seen you can view all of the options in the BIOS but you can't change any of them from their default value.

your processor doesnt have 8 cores, only 4 real with 4 virtual, switching off hyperthreading is a waste of time, and overclocking is a waste of time just make sure turbo mode is enabled and working

This is a laptop, it wouldnt supprise me if the temps under load already exceed 80ºc

MrPipa94

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Easiest and by far the best way to get more performance in a (especially Asus) notebook/laptop is to change the cpu to a better one.
I've found, that almost every notebook cpu with the same socket, also has the same TDP (the amount of heat they output to the cooling system in watts)

In my N71Ja and my old K70AF Asus notebooks both had a TDP of 35W and had a cpu in the low range of the available CPUs for their sockets.

I had on my N71Ja a i5-430M that i changed to a i7-640M (2.53Ghz to 3.46Ghz (turbo)) without any extra heat, and all it cost was about 20€
(I sold my i5-430M for 40€ and bought the i7 for 60€ on ebay)

This is however a more advanced thing than just overclocking, however, overclocking is an advanced task too with an equal chance to break something... if you sell your old cpu with a higher price than buying from ebay, you can even get a small profit!

Pls tell me if my aproach is somehow wrong, i've done this to two laptops now, both from Asus and the results have been incredible!