Asus M4A79T Deluxe/G.Skill Ripjaw 128000CL7D Optimizing

Budikah

Distinguished
Dec 6, 2009
OS - Windows 7 x64
Mobo - ASUS M4A79T Deluxe AM3 DDR3 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard
PSU - CORSAIR CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V
CPU - AMD Phenom II X3 720 2.8GHz
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)

Having bought this RAM with a vague understanding that it wouldn't run as fast as stated due to a bunch of nonsense... I have tried to manually set the advertised timings only to receive and "OVERCLOCKING FAILED!" message on boot.

I've heard that to get the advertised speed of this RAM you need to O/C other portions of your system to do. I'm not entirely comfortable with overclocking as any of these parts frying or becoming damaged wouldn't be worth it.

However, I heard it said that you could change a few settings to actually make these run about as fast or faster than the listed speed by reducing the MHz and tightening the CAL timings?

This true? Any advice? I'd like to keep these if I can at least get my 80$ value out of them instead of simply RMA'ing them.

Try G. Skill's forum. Search for your memory and mobo. I had a similar problem w/G. Skill on my DFi Board. G. Skill techs got the same board, and posted the results/settings I needed to get to the stated speed. You might also try ASUS forums (I gave up ASUS a couple of years ago), but you may find some help there.

bkeuba011

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2010
I have the same ram as you and I had the same problem I changed dram voltage to 1.74 adjusted timings to 9-9-9-24 dram frequency 1600 everything else is set to auto memtest 100% no errors played modern warfare 2 for 2 hours seems stable I have a asus a4a77td motherboard and a phenom 2 720 honestly I am not sure why this is working this is after tinkering with the bios for 1.5 hours only setting I could get to work at 1600 if I am doing something dumb please inform me and if you have an explanation for why the higher voltage is more stable then the factory recommended please let me know