ASUS M5A99X
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131754
Antec Earthwatts 500W
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371035

Im still running the following

HIS Radeon HD4850 IceQ4 Turbo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161244
Hitatchi 320GB Unsure of the part number

Its seems as though my board has a software / bios issue, it refuses to boot and hangs on either the RAM self-Diagnostics or (very rarely) the GPU Self-Diagnostics. Once this happens pressing the mem ok button does nothing but blink several times and goes back to a solid light the only way to start the machine I have to unplug the machine and leave it unplugged for approximately 5 minutes and once I plug it back in it will boot. Once it is booted into windows I can play games, browse the internet, etc with no issues. I have run Prime95 CPU and Memory test, as well as sandra sisoft and the computer passes with flying colors. I have no other option but to think that ther board has a bios issue that needs to be corrected. I have updated the bios to rev0705 8/26/11 and the problem still persists. all parts wer ordered brand new and istalled in a clean work area. I have pulled the parts and tested them in an almost similar system which uses an M4A87TD-Evo and the computer boots fine everytime. I have only ever used Asus motherboards and hope that this issue can be resolved before I am forced to exchange the motherboard for another board.

elpcavy21

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I'll give that another try but the thing is, it typically freezes and I hav to unplug, clear CMOS and the it'll finally boot. I'll report back as soon as I am able to give that a shot.

elpcavy21

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010

Nope, I changed it and it seemed to work but then it crashed after about 15mins and upon restart it said, "overclock failed" so back to clear CMOS -> Unplug -> Replug -> finally get it back on....

jelson

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011
Just a question here. Is that specific memory module listed in the Asus Qualified Vendor pdf for the M5A99X?

From the Newegg info, it appears to be Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9B.

I've been considering getting this motherboard myself...

Anyway, I just did a quick check and didn't find that module listed in either the AM3 or AM3+ pdfs.

If it really isn't, you might want to consider RMA'ing the DDR3 and getting a set that's on Asus' list.

Cheers and good luck.

elpcavy21

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
quotemsg=2011781,7,977931]Just a question here. Is that specific memory module listed in the Asus Qualified Vendor pdf for the M5A99X?

From the Newegg info, it appears to be Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9B.

I've been considering getting this motherboard myself...

Anyway, I just did a quick check and didn't find that module listed in either the AM3 or AM3+ pdfs.

If it really isn't, you might want to consider RMA'ing the DDR3 and getting a set that's on Asus' list.

Cheers and good luck.[/quotemsg]

I have another set of corsair DDR3 running in my other machine:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233202

Which is on the vendor list for the M5A99X, I suppose I could swap it out and give it a try. but I have honestly never had that happen because of the RAM not being in the QVL. if the DDR3 works in my other machine (exactly identical machine with an ASUS M4A87TD-Evo mobo) then I'll just leave it that way.

but the ram isn't in the M4A87TD QVL either -.-

Sidenote: Overall the motherboard is really nice, and the UEFI bios is pretty sweet, just getting annoyed with this whole startup issue.

Side note 2:

Would there be any differance between

This: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233202
and
This: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233196
I know they are practically identical, 1600mhz CL9... besides the voltage 1.65 vs 1.5

jelson

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

Trying the "Corsair CMX8..." (old DDR3) in the M5A99X would be great idea. You've already tested the "Corsair CML8..." (old DDR3) in the M4A87TD, right?

Anyway the results turns out, it'll be a good test and you're know a lot more than you do now.

If it was me, I'd definitely be looking to RMA the new DRR3 given the Memory Test FAIL during POST. Something is off with either the RAM, mobo or both. And after I spent all the time and money to build a system myself I want the entire thing to be as steady and reliable as a rock.

As far as running RAM that's not in a mobo's QVL, I hear ya. Good RAM is usually good RAM although I've read AMD CPUs are a bit more picky than Intel ones. Been playing with computers since the 80s and as long as you're using high quality, then...... but then car engines used to be simple to work on and fix until they started putting CPUs in them too.

Maybe, just maybe...

It's sorta like the deal with with unlocking the 4th core of AMD Tricores: you get lucky with some and not with others. Afterall, the AM3 CPUs are only designed to run up to DDR3 1333 and to use DDR3 1600 we have have a mobo that supports the necessary overclocking. I was reading the other day that we have to wait for the AM3+ Bulldozer for native support of faster RAM.

Note: I'm looking at the QVL dated June 21st that I downloaded from Asus a couple of weeks ago. Actually it was zip contained 2 QVL pdfs: 1 for AM3 and 1 for AM3+ and a search for either module in either of QVL's gave "no matches found." What's the date of the QVL you looked at?

So, I went to Newegg and to Corsair sites. Newegg says:

N82E16820233196 is Corsair CML8GX3M2A1600C9B ==> which I find at Corsair's site HERE
N82E16820233202 is Corsair CMX8GX3M2B1600C9 ==> but returns no results at Corsair???? ==> However, I think Newegg made a typo.

If I search Corsair for CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 instead, I find THIS and the photo there matches the photo at Newegg

So, your new DDR3 is a "CML..." with a "B" suffix and your old DDR3 is a "CMX..." without a suffix.

The prefix and suffix differences in the 2 modules would tell someone knowledgeable with Corsair's naming scheme something about the between them. But it did make me curious.

From looking around their site, it seems "CMX" refers to one type of their "XMS3 - Xtreme Performance DDR3 Memory. "

Going to their overview page and selecting "AMD Memory" and then "PC3-12800 (1600MHz)", I found your old DDR3 listed on page 2 and as being designed for "Phenomen II"

When I started over and selected "Intel Memory", "Core i7 Dual Channel Kits" and then "PC3-12800 (1600MHz)" I found your new DDR3 on page 3:
Vengeance™ Low Profile Blue — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9B)

Now, that begs the question, just what is the difference between Corsair DDR3 modules designed for Phenomen II and those designed for Intel Core i7?

Trouble is I'm just not uber-geek enough to know. ;)

Oh yeah, while at Corsair I found a link to July article on their blog about testing their memory using Memtest86.

Hopes this helps.

And I appreciate your sidenote about the M5A99X. I just ordered a case from Newegg today for the Win7 machine I'm going to build. More I think about it, the more I want to get this mobo. Seen great reviews on and it offers an upgrade path to AM3+ CPUs down the road. Besides, it's time I tried an AMD CPU again. Been a a long time: last one was an AMD 486. :ouch:

Besides, I'm running XP right now on an Asus mobo (Core2Duo) and been very happy with it. Asus makes really good stuff.

elpcavy21

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010

Trying the "Corsair CMX8..." (old DDR3) in the M5A99X would be great idea. You've already tested the "Corsair CML8..." (old DDR3) in the M4A87TD, right? Yes, and it booted once just fine, ill give another shot today and reboot a bunch and see if it works.

It's sorta like the deal with with unlocking the 4th core of AMD Tricores: you get lucky with some and not with others. Had an athlon 425 x3 with an unlocked 4thcore and L3 cache running @ 3.2ghz!!!

Note: I'm looking at the QVL dated June 21st that I downloaded from Asus a couple of weeks ago. Actually it was zip contained 2 QVL pdfs: 1 for AM3 and 1 for AM3+ and a search for either module in either of QVL's gave "no matches found." What's the date of the QVL you looked at? I read it in the manual that came with the mobo, im 95% sure the CMX ram is in there, but im 110% sure the CML is NOT in there

From looking around their site, it seems "CMX" refers to one type of their "XMS3 - Xtreme Performance DDR3 Memory. "

Going to their overview page and selecting "AMD Memory" and then "PC3-12800 (1600MHz)", I found your old DDR3 listed on page 2 and as being designed for "Phenomen II"

When I started over and selected "Intel Memory", "Core i7 Dual Channel Kits" and then "PC3-12800 (1600MHz)" I found your new DDR3 on page 3:
Vengeance™ Low Profile Blue — 8GB Dual Channel DDR3 Memory Kit (CML8GX3M2A1600C9B)

Now, that begs the question, just what is the difference between Corsair DDR3 modules designed for Phenomen II and those designed for Intel Core i7?

Trouble is I'm just not uber-geek enough to know. ;) HA! Yeah i didn't even know what you know, so thanks for that!

Oh yeah, while at Corsair I found a link to July article on their blog about testing their memory using Memtest86. WoW totally forgot about memtest86, I have the boot CD right here too HAHA!

Hopes this helps.

And I appreciate your sidenote about the M5A99X. I just ordered a case from Newegg today for the Win7 machine I'm going to build. More I think about it, the more I want to get this mobo. Seen great reviews on and it offers an upgrade path to AM3+ CPUs down the road. Besides, it's time I tried an AMD CPU again. Been a a long time: last one was an AMD 486. :ouch: OH man, I've built an Athlon II 425 x3 and two Phenom II 965 x4 machines in the past two years LOVE AMD!

I'll swap ram again and test the junk out of it and post back later today! Thanks for your help thus far!

elpcavy21

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010

Ha SIKE! left it on and went to work, came home and it wouldn't come out of sleep, so I held the power to turn it off, tried to turn it on... Back to square one had to unplug wait 10 mins replug and it finally started saying overclocked failed press F1 to enter setup.

ruffyruffy

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2011
I am having the same issues with that same combination of Asus board and 4GB Corsair XMS3 ddr3-1600 memory (9-9-9-24 @ 1.65v). I am using a Phenom II x3 720 BE processor, not overclocked and although I do not get the "overclocked failed" message I will get random crashes and BSODs. When I try to stress test the CPU with OCCT or Prime95 it will fail within minutes if not seconds. I tested the ram @ said speeds with memTest and it completed 7 passes overnight with no errors, so go figure. I have another pair of Kingston DDR3-1333 memory which works perfectly fine and even though the Corsair kit is on the Asus QVL list it's just not stable @ 1600mhz.

The general consensus online is that some revisions of the Phenom II IMC (C2) are not designed to run overclocked @ 1600mhz, some people report having better luck with the C3 revisions.

On a side note, I had built a Phenom II x4 955 system in the past running on an older Gigabyte 890XA-UD5 and it ran perfectly stable with the same Corsair kit of memory. I also had good luck in the past with the same CPU combined with G.Skill Ripjaw 4GB ddr3-1600mhz ram. I would suggest you RMA/exchange the memory with a different brand, perhaps Kingston or G.Skill from my experience it does run stable.

d97alda

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
I have the same issue with my board and memory (Corsair Vengeance 4x4Gb).
Bought new memory (2x2Gb Corsair xms3) and that looked like it had solved the problem.
I put back my 16Gb of corsair Vengance memory and they worked fine too? At least for a while, then I couldn't reboot without unplugging the computer for a while. Put the new memory back and now they didn't want to post either. :fou:

How come the new memory worked at first, then the old ones and now none of them? Heat...
I remebered touching the big blue heatsink beside the cpu yesterday and it was hot. The cpu is watercooled so no fan is blowing at those heatsinks. And with the case door opened while i'm trying to figure this out, the case fan isn't helping much either.

I touched the heatsinks again and they were burning hot. I had tried everything else so why not trying to cool them actively. Put a table fan beside the case and let it run on highest speed. Booted the computer with the new memory. Everything worked fine. Let i load Windows. Rebooted and it worked fine this time also. Could it be...?
Put in the Vengeance memory modules. Computer booted at once. Loaded and restarted windows a couple of times. Still worked. :bounce:

I also had some issues when I tried to boot from a usb stick. But not know. Så I ran memtest86, and after 3 passes no errors had been found. I know that you can run many more passes and then suddenly get a error. But this was good enough for me. Clearly the memory isn't the problem here.

I'm going to put the computer and case back together and see if the case fans is enough to cool the heatsinks. They are still a little warm despite a table fan blowing at them, so I guess they will be much warmer with only case fan cooling. The question is, will they be too hot? Only time can tell. I will contact the retailer and Asus about this problem. It must be some hardware error with some cards that makes them so hot.

BlackBird24

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Hi.

I just put this M5A99X EVO together with the RAM that was on the vendors list. I initially bought 1866 Patriot RAM and took it back just in case I had issues etc.

So, far nothing is happening with my system and I am sorry you are having this BS with an Asus board. I always like Asus and stuck with them for a few years.

I got the Corsair 16 GB 1600MHz set in mine (see Vendors list). They are clocked to 9-9-9-24, and I have everything on auto and the over clock is on.

I have a Phenom II 1055T Hex Core rated at 2.8 and now running at the 3.3 Turbo mode. So, far no problems, gosh I hope this board does not act up either. It costs to send stuff back and forth and I live in a small town where the vendors here don't sell parts just complete systems and I'd like to pick and choose.

I can say though, when I opened my processor, the stupid heat sink...one of the pipes looks like it's been soldered and a "heat smudge" or something that looks like this thing was used.

I called my vendor and they said its nothing to worry about, yeah not their problem/money, then I spoke to a tech. in Canada/Asus and they said it should be fine but if I was doubtful I could send it back...that the processor can run at 71 degrees max. Okay, sure! LOL

But, so far so good. I hope Asus did not make a great profit recently and now they are turning their back on their quality products!

I've read somewhere a guy has a similar issue and got a MSI board, I thought those boards were the one's to stay away from.

I hope you take back your board and get another and this BS works out for ya', hate to hear of the issues arising and people losing cash on shipping this stuff, we pay enough as it is.

Good luck.

BlackBird24

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2012
Hi again.

I am wondering if there is an issue with your power supply? I have just one 120mm fan for my Coolmaster (cheap) case/mid-tower.

It is a 500W and maybe there is an issue with yours perhaps and not supplying enough voltage/contant voltage? I've heard even the battery - CMOS in Asus boards have been weak/dead too and people replacing these too and they helped with BIOS problems etc.