Asus Mars 760 Review: Two GPUs In SLI; One $650 Graphics Card

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinhn

Honorable
Jun 15, 2013
@AMD Radeon, everyone would like to see it, not everyone would buy it, the market knows that, there's a reason why they would rather release the dual 760 rather than a 1600$ dual 780 Ti.

Shneiky

Distinguished
It was actually disappointing that there was no regular 760 SLI in there. It would have helped to see if the Asus's solution gives better results then regular 2 760s.

bemused_fred

Honorable
Feb 18, 2012
Looking at the way that various card configurations bounce around in the charts, with the ranking of cards varying from page to page, the only thing I'm taking away from this article is not to bother with dual-GPU set-ups. It seems their performance is entirely decided by how well-optimised the games are for Nvidia or AMD, and not their actual specs.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
without the gtx 780 ti, you are missing half the article, as ASUS, according to the price, was presenting this card as an alternative to the 780 ti at its price/performance. I stopped reading after the first BM.

cleeve

Illustrious

That's why we included an OC'd titan to represent 780 Ti performance.

Read the article. The memory was clocked identical to 780 Ti, and the core overclock was even calculated to simulate it as closely as possible.

It's a valid representation. I see some of you don't agree and you certainly reserve the right to do that, but I'm quite satisfied with the results.

cleeve

Illustrious

780 is not the same price point. The 780 Ti is, and we overclocked a Titan to simulate as per above.

Adroid

Distinguished

Thanks, I stand corrected, and the 770, 780, and 780ti is what I would like to see compared to the Mars.

My qualm with using a Titan for comparison is 1) The titan costs $300 more than the 780ti, and 2) The titan is slower.

I usually read these type of articles from a perspective of "if I was going to purchase this Mars 760 or a comparitive other card at the $700 price point, what would I buy?"

So I wouldn't buy a Titan for 300$ more and overclock it to try to get 780ti performance out of it. I would want to see how a 780ti overclocked compares to an overclocked Mars 760 - then make a choice from that.

But, from strictly a performance consideration, I understand where you are coming from.

Those of us who don't get the Nvidia sample cards to play with have to consider the price/performance factor ;)

cleeve

Illustrious

The point is, is overclocked to *match* the 780 Ti.

We tested it at stock, ***and then again overclocked to represent the 780 Ti***.

It goes over this in detail in the article. Check the test system page :)

tristangl

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
I dont understand how can 1 card with 2 GPU can cost more than 2 760It needs half the material... this shoul dbe selling for 450-500$

You are paying for the complexities of sticking two GPU's and the SLi bridge on one card together with the larger HSF this requires, it shouldn't be that difficult to work that out surely?

tristangl

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
You are still using less material, and buying 2 core on 1 card... this should be lower than 2 cards IMO
Plus stability is always worst on dual GPU card

Not my thing

There's more R&D to make the PCB, the more advanced circuitry, the chip that bridges the two GPUs, custom cooler, power delivery... all that is done by Asus. For a couple 760s, all they do is use nvidia's reference design for the card, and the cooler may be reference or only a slight variation of something already gone through the design phase.It's just far more involved designing something like the MARS from the ground up.

So why don't I see you ranting about the 7990?

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
but when you buy gpus >$500 you waste money by not OC'ing. IMHO, a side by side comparison to a gtx 780 ti not OC'd and OC'd would be more relevant to justify the dual gtx 760's price point. Yeah, you can OC a titan to match a 780 ti's performance, but then you're looking at higher power consumption than a stock 780ti and 6GB of vram as opposed to 3GB of the gtx 780 ti (FYI @3x 1080p ultra/2xmsaa BF4 saturates 3GB on my 2x780ti setup).

Status
Not open for further replies.