Question Asus N580GD won't boot any OS ?

Aug 10, 2023
I bought a used Asus N580GD laptop. Previous owner said he wasn't able to install Windows because he didn't know how.

After turning it on for the first time it was having problems to boot Windows. always getting BSOD or sometimes screen just freezes.
I tried to boot with a USB flash drive but same problem. I tried every version of Windows and i got same error... (BSOD)
I tried some linux distros Ubuntu, Pop!_OS, Fedora and Linux Mint won't boot, always freezes at booting. (CALL TRACE)
I also tried macOS, same problem getting (KERNEL PANIC).

But i found it is able to boot Debian and Arch Linux.

USB flash drive works fine on other computers.

Things i have tried
Moved ram to another slot
New thermal paste for CPU and GPU (was having overheating problems) not it seems to be fine
Replaced the HDD
Also i installed Steam in Arch Linux and I was able to play games without problems, everything works fine (but i'm not getting audio, may be driver issue)

Similar to this: https://www.reddit.com/r/WindowsHel...ded_and_now_cant_boot_usb_bootable/?rdt=59878

What are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What are your thoughts?
You might want to return the laptop for a refund or another laptop that doesn't have an anomaly like you've mentioned or disassemble the laptop, locate the BIOS chip for the motherboard and then flash it with the latest BIOS version that's avaiabale for the laptop.

IMHO, you've sunken enough resources behind something that's not working out of the box, something as simple as an Ubuntu install isn't happening which would mean that you're working with a paperweight.

Reactions: lrose0x46
Aug 10, 2023
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

What are your thoughts?
You might want to return the laptop for a refund or another laptop that doesn't have an anomaly like you've mentioned or disassemble the laptop, locate the BIOS chip for the motherboard and then flash it with the latest BIOS version that's avaiabale for the laptop.

IMHO, you've sunken enough resources behind something that's not working out of the box, something as simple as an Ubuntu install isn't happening which would mean that you're working with a paperweight.
I can't ask for a refund

if a remove the bios chip from the laptop and then i use something like CH341A programmer will it be different from just flashing from the bios?

I've using arch linux without problems so far so it's not money wasted at all : ( but i wanted to install Windows

TRENDING THREADS