Asus P3V4X locks up in 4X AGP

G

I just installed an Asus P3V4X mother board so I could run my Diamond Stealth lll S540 Extreme agp card at 4X. I am running a P2 400Mhz with 192Meg PC100 ram. I reformated the hard drive and started from scatch. If I set the Bios to 4X AGP, the computer locks up as soon as it comes into windows. Computer works fine in 2X AGP, but the frame rates are slow and make some games unplayable. I've loaded VIA 4in1 v. 4.28 and diamonds latest drivers - still no change. Any suggestions?

G

4 in 1 4.29 should clear this up, but really AGP 4x will give you no benefit in games over 2x. this is because the c ode in games has to be written to utilize 4x in order for your card to actually run at that speed during gameplay. set it to 2x and play. if you are getting poor framerates, its more likely your processor that is the culprit.

ignore everything i say

G

Where can I find 4 in 1 v. 4.29? The Asus website only offers 4.25 and 4.48. do you think a 32 meg geforce2 card would improve game play with the PII 400?
Thanks for the advice,
Russ

G

you can find the VIA 4 in 1 drivers at www.viahardware.com
I would upgrade your CPU to a PIII 800Mhz rather than buying a geforce 2. isnt your current video card 32 mb? yeah, sure a geforce 2 will offer improved frame rates, but nothing like going from a PII to PIII 800. The P3v4x will handle up to 800 (maybe 850). If you cant find a slot 1 PIII 800 100 mhz FSB, go with a FCpga and a slocket II adapter card. just my opinion.....

ignore everything i say