Brad

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I had been having a very bad time getting my new GeForce2 card working properly. Windows and opengl games all worked fine. However, Directx games would lock up, crash or dump me back to windows. Weeks of formatting, downloads, re-installing Windows and the latest of every driver I could find did not solve the problem.

Now I have the answer, though I cannot believe I stumbled upon it. Somewhere deep in the back of my mind, I remembered that my computer had two different DIMs in it. Both were made by Hyundai and were 128megs each. However, they sported different model numbers on the chips themselves. mmmmm!!! I took the second DIM out and what do you know, everything worked perfectly. I can put either of these chips in my machine and it works. I even tried a friends 128meg dim and it worked as well. But if I put both in, the trouble returns.

Is this obvious to any of you? Is it therefore correct to say that the DIMs in you computer must be identical? Or is this just a quirky thing with high performance GeForce cards and VIA chipsets?

Cheers

<font color=purple><b>Brad</b></font color=purple>

G

I am also having a sdram related problem with my p3v4x. However i am able to use 2 different brands of ram. my problems arises when i fill all the ram slots. When I do the computer will not bood to windows 98, but it will boot to windows NT. I can use any combination of 3 dimms in any slots and it works fine, but if i put a fourth one in it doesn't.

Sorry I don't have an answer. Just letting you know you're not alone. I have checked the Asus boards and apparently ram problems are quite common to the p3v4x.