[SOLVED] Asus P8Z77-V LX2 compatible with ADATA XPG SX8200 pro 1tb?

Lakesky

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2013
Hi,

I (stupidly, I know) rush-bought an ADATA XPG SX8200 1TB M.2 card to get next day delivery, before realising its a completely different type of SSD to my existing drive. I have an ASUS PBZ77-V LX2 motherboard - is that capable of mounting that hard drive in a suitable slot? If not, but possible with an adaptor could you point me in the right direction please?

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any help!

CJ

Solution
Thank you for your help. I've requested a cancellation and will look at alternatives. Out of interest, would an M.2 drive throttled by a PCIe 2.0 slot end up slower than a SATA III drive? And which user groups really need the benefits of a fully fired up M.2 drive? Is it mainly for servers etc?
It would be about on a par with a SATA III drive.

Who benefits? Well, if building a new system today, and since prices on these drives are rapidly falling, there is little reason to NOT get one. At least for the OS drive.
However, we are descending into diminishing returns.
If a HDD takes 10 seconds for an operation.
A SATA III is 3x as fast...so 3 seconds. Huge diff.
An NVMe is similarly 3x as fast as the SATA...so 1 sec. "faster" yes...

USAFRet

Titan
  1. There is no M.2 port on your motherboard.
  2. You'll need a PCIe adapter.
  3. If you have a GPU in the first PCIe slot, the adapter you will use for this would need to go in the second slot. Which is significantly slower.

What were you planning to use this drive for?

Lakesky

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2013
  1. There is no M.2 port on your motherboard.
  2. You'll need a PCIe adapter.
  3. If you have a GPU in the first PCIe slot, the adapter you will use for this would need to go in the second slot. Which is significantly slower.
What were you planning to use this drive for?

My PC has died, giving me an Inaccessible Boot Device error so I'm figuring it's either the SATA SSD I boot from has failed or Windows is badly corrupted. As it will be a couple of days before I get hold of a Windows DVD to try a repair (and i could do with more storage) I thought I'd order a new, bigger SSD.

As I gather I won't be able to boot from it I may need a replacement boot drive too. Will using the 2nd PCIe x16 slot via an adaptor throttle the new drive badly? It will mainly be used for running games from and storing STLs for 3D printing if its not running Windows. I might just see if I can cancel the order if it seems like a bad prospect for an aging motherboard (the replacing of which I think would be expensive to pay someone to do for me!)

Thanks for the reply!

Lakesky

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2013
The second slot is "1 x PCIe 2.0 x16 (x4 mode, black) "

2.0...:(

Personally, I'd return this drive and get something actually compatible.
A regular 2.5" SATA III SSD will work perfectly.

For your use, you will see zero difference.

Thank you for your help. I've requested a cancellation and will look at alternatives. Out of interest, would an M.2 drive throttled by a PCIe 2.0 slot end up slower than a SATA III drive? And which user groups really need the benefits of a fully fired up M.2 drive? Is it mainly for servers etc?

USAFRet

Titan
It would be about on a par with a SATA III drive.

Who benefits? Well, if building a new system today, and since prices on these drives are rapidly falling, there is little reason to NOT get one. At least for the OS drive.
However, we are descending into diminishing returns.
If a HDD takes 10 seconds for an operation.
A SATA III is 3x as fast...so 3 seconds. Huge diff.
An NVMe is similarly 3x as fast as the SATA...so 1 sec. "faster" yes, but not so huge.

And then, the whole rest of the system needs to be that fast.
My system specs below. When I got the Intel 660p, I did a comparison between that and the other SATA III drives.
My typical use case with Adobe Lightroom - Zero difference.
An operation that took 15 seconds to write out to the 1TB Samsung 860 EVO also took 15 seconds to write to the 660p. Even though the numbers on the 660p would suggest it is several times "faster".

But trying to shoehorn one into a 10 year old platform...that IS a waste of time, effort, and money.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS