Olle118

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2015
Hi!

I use my Oneplus 9 as a mobile hotspot for wifi on my PC however I have a problem.

My PC has an Asus PCE-AC68 network adapter installed but can't connect to the mobile hotspot if I choose the 5Ghz band, it only works with 2,4Ghz.

I have managed to figure out that my phone uses channel 149 for the 5Ghz band but my computer doesn't seem able to recognize/connect to it.

Are there any solutions? Any way I can change the channel my phone uses or make my PC recognize and connect to channel 149?

Solution
Yeah that's something I thought to try however it is not possible to change channels for the hotspot on my phone as far as I'm aware :(

SOLVED

If anyone else sees this and has a similar issue try updating the driver for your PCE-AC68 to the Broadcom 7.77.119.0 driver. It resolved the issue for me.

I googled for it and downloaded it on catalog.update.microsoft.com however I can not guarantee it is a safe website to download from so proceed with caution.

Windows could not find this driver automatically which is why I instead downloaded and installed it manually.

SOLVED
Not sure that asus device does support that channel number. I am not sure if you can set the channel numbers on nic cards it tends to be negotiated with the router and the router is in control.

Maybe you have a version of that nic card that is not meant to be sold in the area you live in. Some countries have restrictions on the use of that channel.

Maybe try changing the hotspot to use a channel around 40. This lower channel block is supported in more countries.

Olle118

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2015
Not sure that asus device does support that channel number. I am not sure if you can set the channel numbers on nic cards it tends to be negotiated with the router and the router is in control.

Maybe you have a version of that nic card that is not meant to be sold in the area you live in. Some countries have restrictions on the use of that channel.

Maybe try changing the hotspot to use a channel around 40. This lower channel block is supported in more countries.

Yeah that's something I thought to try however it is not possible to change channels for the hotspot on my phone as far as I'm aware :(

Olle118

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2015

SOLVED

If anyone else sees this and has a similar issue try updating the driver for your PCE-AC68 to the Broadcom 7.77.119.0 driver. It resolved the issue for me.

I googled for it and downloaded it on catalog.update.microsoft.com however I can not guarantee it is a safe website to download from so proceed with caution.

Windows could not find this driver automatically which is why I instead downloaded and installed it manually.

SOLVED

Solution