[SOLVED] Asus prime b250m-a, ram order, manual seems to be wrong?

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Hi all, I've got the above board and was running a 16gb kit (2x8gb) of crucial 19200 ddr4, which I placed in slots 1 and 3, as those two slots are grey, whereas 2 and 4 are black, and you always match the colours yes?

However, today I've got another 16gb kit of hynix (hp branded) 21300 to add in, which I put in the empty black slots, 2 and 4, however when I run hwinfo with this config it shows the following...

Channel A dimm 1 crucial
Channel A dimm 2 hynix
channel B dimm 1 crucial
Channel B dimm 2 hynix

Right then, so it should logically be slot 1 and 2 matching pair, then 3 and 4 matching pair too, the manual also states that channel A is A1 and A2, and channel B is B1 and B2, but colours are still bugging me, because I was always told that if you have four slots and two pairs of different ram that you always always match them up by the colour on the slot.

So which is actually correct, because why would you colour them up as 1 3 2 4, to then have the manual state 1 2 3 4, one of them has to be wrong.

Can anyone confirm what's correct?

Many thanks in advance :)

Solution
The motherboard manual will state which slots to populate when you work with 1, 2 or 4 sticks. As for your ram loadout, please stop mixing and matching sticks of ram to get a cumulative number, i.e, work with the Crucial's or the Hynix's.

The right answer to which brand to work with as opposed to the other will depend on what your processor is in that motherboard. The max frequency your board will support is DDR4-2400MHz, so anything clocked higher will be downclocked to DDR4-2400MHz.

The slots being colored is an aesthetic choice, much like all the other board makers have either a completely blacked out design with black ram slots or a mono chromatic scheme with ram slots if the PCB is white.

Lutfij

Titan
The motherboard manual will state which slots to populate when you work with 1, 2 or 4 sticks. As for your ram loadout, please stop mixing and matching sticks of ram to get a cumulative number, i.e, work with the Crucial's or the Hynix's.

The right answer to which brand to work with as opposed to the other will depend on what your processor is in that motherboard. The max frequency your board will support is DDR4-2400MHz, so anything clocked higher will be downclocked to DDR4-2400MHz.

The slots being colored is an aesthetic choice, much like all the other board makers have either a completely blacked out design with black ram slots or a mono chromatic scheme with ram slots if the PCB is white.

Solution

clarkey1984

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2014
Ahh I see, for some reason I thought you have to match the colours if you're using two different kits.

The pc has an i5 7600 (not k) in it, and I'm using hwinfo64 as I mentioned, and with the config I had them installed in as above it reported that I had 2 ram channels available and 2 active, so now I changed it so that 1 and 2 has the hynix, and 3 and 4 have the crucial, all good, no discernible difference of how it runs at all and still in dual channel mode.

At one stage I had all the ram out and put them so the hynix was in 1 and 3 and crucial in 2 and 4 and it wouldn't post, so that obviously isn't the way, so now I have them in pairs as per the manual.

It was never my intention to mix brands, I was only going to stick with my 16gb crucial kit as that's probably enough, but this hynix kit popped up on Facebook marketplace for £20, so it seemed too cheap to pass up.