[SOLVED] Asus PRIME X570-P ATX 4 Pin Connector

steveuk

Honorable
May 24, 2014
Hi all, hope you can help.

I am putting together a build and have ordered the parts, in fact, they have ben delivered that said, I think I may have overlooked the 4 pin issue needed for the Asus PRIME X570-P motherboard.

I will be installing a an AMD 3900X and have an EVGA 700 Watt (2019) PSU and will also install a GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER (6 GB).
I will not be overclocking, so the issue seems to be the 4 pin connector which i noticed after double checking (I know I should have done it before).

Anyway according to PC parts picker I just noticed this compatibility note;

"The Asus PRIME X570-P ATX AM4 Motherboard has an additional 4-pin ATX power connector but the EVGA GD (2019) 700 W 80+ Gold Certified ATX Power Supply does not. This connector is used to supply additional 12V current to the motherboard. While the system will likely still run without it, higher current demands such as extreme overclocking or large video card current draws may require it"

Should I still unpack and go ahead with the build tomorrow ?
Thanks in advance.
Steve

Solution
Yes. It will in most cases work perfectly fine. Just some boards can get picky. But the mass majority of the time it's fine and the 4 pin does not need to be populated. The additional 4 pin tend to come with the higher wattage models and 700W is already vastly more than you need so it would just be excess wasted.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Yes. It will in most cases work perfectly fine. Just some boards can get picky. But the mass majority of the time it's fine and the 4 pin does not need to be populated. The additional 4 pin tend to come with the higher wattage models and 700W is already vastly more than you need so it would just be excess wasted.

Solution