Question Asus Prime Z390-A not detecting any M.2 devices.

Jun 29, 2019
Hello. Recently I bought a 970 Evo Plus from Samsung, and have installed it into the motherboard mentioned above. I had 2 hard drives and one SSD. When I installed, it detected but would not work properly. I installed the drivers, and after this, the M.2 didn’t get detected at all.

I have tried HUNDREDS of fixes. I tried reinstalling and repairing drivers, tried restarting and plugging my M.2 in both slots, tried short circuiting the CLRTC to fully reset bios, tried hundreds of combos of options in the bios itself, tried taking the mb battery out and putting it back in, tried reinstalling windows and using drivers separately from a USB to detect the M.2... EVERYTHING.

I’m really considering just getting a replacement, but it worked in the past so I’m hesitant. Are there any options? I have noticed that there was a recent BIOS update and now there seem to be little to no options for M.2 anything. Also, my friend has the exact same MB and for some reason, his does the exact same thing mine does.

Any and all help is appreciated, thanks!

Jun 29, 2019
What is your full system spec?
Motherboard: Asus Prime Z390-A
CPU: i7 8700k
GPU (Currently uninstalled): GTX 1080
PSU: EVGA 650 GS
RAM: x2 Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB

That’s about all the important hardware, build has been running great with my (currently unplugged) 2 1 TB HDD’s and my 256 GB SSD.

PC Tailor

Illustrious
Ambassador
Firstly you just want to verify what ports you have your storage drives plugged into:
*5 The M.2_1 socket shares bandwidth with SATA_2 port when using M.2 SATA devices. Adjust BIOS settings to use a SATA device.
Obviously you'll also want to verify in the BIOS if it set up to be in SATA or PCIe mode.

Also, my friend has the exact same MB and for some reason, his does the exact same thing mine does.
But did he try it with your M.2 SSD or his own?
If it didn't work on his, it could also be indicative of a faulty M.2

Jun 29, 2019
Firstly you just want to verify what ports you have your storage drives plugged into:

But did he try it with your M.2 SSD or his own?
If it didn't work on his, it could also be indicative of a faulty M.2
He has the same motherboard I do with a different M.2 and is getting the same problem as I am, but we haven’t tried cross-testing each other’s M.2’s yet.