Asus r9 290x DirectCU II OC usage heavy spikes

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

PwnedByNighty

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
Hello guys so about 2 months ago i bought my new and first ever rig to build
specs here :
asus maximus VII ranger
cpu: i5 4690k
ram: 2x4gb g.skill ripjaws 2133mhz
ssd: 120gb kingston
hdd: 1tb wd green
psu : 750W gold corsair
gpu : asus amd radeon r9 290x directcu II oc

everything was great until some weeks ago i was getting random fps drops on different games even low gpu-cpu usage ones
then i started monitoring my cpu and gpu only to see that my gpu has tremendous random usage spikes up to 100% even while idle or gaming doesnt matter
i formated SSD,did clean unistall and installed chipset from amd,did clean unistall and installed chipset from asus but the problem is still here and i'm kinda out of ideas any help wil be appriciated .
Thanks in advance
P.S it does not over heat while gaming max would be arround 67 C and an average of 50C

No problem. As I said, just for testing purposes, I'd try running it with absolutely NOTHING running. No browsers, no Skype, nothing, just the game, and see if the issue is fully gone. If it is, then you know what the problem is. If it's not, then I guess you still have an issue we need to find.

PwnedByNighty

Reputable
Apr 21, 2015
i still get the spikes with everything out,also i might add that my previus pc didnt have any fps drop in league of legends with skype and 10tabs in firefox now with just skype i get fps drop the prev one was -10 compared ot this one in performance

Was the game installed on the green drive then or are you running it from the SSD now? I'd pull the GPU card, clean the gold teeth with a clean #2 pencil eraser followed by isopropyl alcohol on a lint free cloth or coffee filter, then reinstall it making sure it's entirely seated, locked on one end and screwed down on the other and that all power connectors are fully seated. Make sure there are no bent pins on any of the PCI plugs or sockets for the supplemental GPU power cables.

Either 2.5" or 3.5" should work as long as your drive bays have the proper mounting for both or if you have a drive sled adapter in the case than a smaller drive doesn't fit without an adapter. I'd just stick to 3.5" drives. A WD Black or Blue drive would work fine as would a non-power saving type drive from Seagate or HGST/Hitachi. Supposedly the Hitachi drives are more reliable, but I can't account for that either way as I've had about the same amount of goor or bad luck regardless of drive brand as long as I didn't go with the very cheapest brands available.

I can't say for sure, but I do know that green and red drives, both of which are power saving drives that spin down when not being directly accessed, both create havoc when used for OS or gaming data. Not sure why it would affect the GPU spiking.

If I was you I'd be tempted to a complete reinstall of windows, although I'd probably wait until you replace the other drive.