Asus Reduces Netbook Shipments; Blames iPad

Status
Not open for further replies.

awood28211

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2007
I want a netbook... for 1 thing only. Delorme Street Atlas. Far cheaper than a comparable GPS system added in-dash and with a lot more function. Even if I could put Delorme's products on an iPad, it would be entirely awkward situating it in a car. The netbook fits between my seats and I can angle the screen toward me if I have to look at it... but... now my Evo does the same thing and it fits on a "shelf" by my stereo near my line of sight. So I guess I'll skip the netbook for now.. and the iPad foreverrrrrr

tapnick

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I bought a netbook, havnt used it in at least 6 months. I cant speak for everybody but I'm waiting for a win 7 tablet. Although I will probably use it for a while then it will take its rightful spot next to the non used netbook. With smartphones these days i really have no need for these device besides just having one to play with.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]pizzacheeks[/nom]Ipad a waste of your money. Therefore Jobs must be hypnotize people to buy his icrap.[/citation]
Exactly how is something people use a waste of money? I could understand if it sat there, useless, but it's not the case.

thesupermedium

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Make Ion and Dual core netbooks less than $400 and you can expect to get sales. Otherwise, don't blame the iPad for you still making that GMA950 crap that's in my HP mini from 2 years ago.

smeker

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2010
It was expected... Beside all the nerdy comments about how iPads will fail, they've sold like cupcakes. Yes they do only few things but the things they do those things quite well, and people love them...

Parsian

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2007
still, as a student who carries loads of books, netbook > notebook and iCrap is worthless to even consider

but it would be awesome to get a tablet netbook with physical keyboard and the screen to write on with stylus...

[citation][nom]thesupermedium[/nom]Make Ion and Dual core netbooks less than $400 and you can expect to get sales. Otherwise, don't blame the iPad for you still making that GMA950 crap that's in my HP mini from 2 years ago.[/citation]

They are already in the maiking. Intels next step of Atom will have dual cores and a integrated IGP capable of playing Doom 3. Not impressive compared to discrete but impressive jump.

It will also be able to run full 1080P.

Once thats out we will see a flood of non Apple based touch pads that will probably be better and Netbooks that are worth their price.

I have a Samsung netbook. It's perfect for what I bought it for - internet during vacations and an e-book reader. It came with Win7 Starter. Pressing Control-Alt-Left Arrow rotates the screen 90 degrees. You can then hold it like a book with your thumb on the Page-Up and Page-Dn keys.

OTOH, netbooks have been overhyped. And that's what I think the market is responding to.

jecastej

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
I don't know why readers here are in constant denial. CEOs provide an explanation (MS, - ASUS at this time), which doesn't need to be the only one, I agree, but here there is always "other" counter intuitive explanations on the readers side. Those, beside any Apple product is "succeeding" at something.

I don't have an iPad and I don't know if I ever will. And as far as netbooks I hope the best for this little brothers but I think I better expend the money on something that I can use or I really enjoy. I bet netbooks will suffer even more when more tablet options become available as at least these tablets may be better or more enjoyable at some uses. Anyway, not to offend any netbook user who feel they are best at something they do.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
9" netbook with 1366x768 resolution, 1.6GHz ULV C2D (screw the atom), ATi 4200 integrated graphics (a 40nm 5200 would also be nice), 4GB RAM, 320GB 1.8" HDD or 80GB Intel x18-m (gen 2), 5MP webcam, double mic (one at the front, and one at the back, for better noise cancellation), 3G antenna ($10 for them to make, $150 for us to buy retail. I don't care if the network thinks it's just a unlocked phone, with a data plan only), Win7 home, DVI/HDMI out. Asus made. No HP/Acer.
$500.
If offered, any other takers? :)

I've considered a netbook for a while. While the Intel CULV chips are sick, the Atom is downright shameful.

VidGameKing

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2009
I bought two Acer Aspire One netbooks one for me and on for my wife. I ended up selling mine because I didn't have an ultra-portable use for the thing and I have spare laptops that I don't mind lugging places just to ensure I have mobile performance. She loves her AAO! she has a big main laptop (Core i3 et al) that sits on the desk and the netbook goes with her to school, to bed, on the couch where ever! I imagine the iPad would compete nicely with the netbook but the cost is prohibative. On the other hand we love our iPhone 4 and 3Gs!

milktea

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I was considering an EeeBox for my HTPC setup. But the one with USB3 support was a bit too expensive. So I'm holding off until all their machines come with USB3 as standard.

[citation][nom]Travis Beane[/nom]9" netbook with 1366x768 resolution, 1.6GHz ULV C2D (screw the atom), ATi 4200 integrated graphics (a 40nm 5200 would also be nice), 4GB RAM, 320GB 1.8" HDD or 80GB Intel x18-m (gen 2), 5MP webcam, double mic (one at the front, and one at the back, for better noise cancellation), 3G antenna ($10 for them to make, $150 for us to buy retail. I don't care if the network thinks it's just a unlocked phone, with a data plan only), Win7 home, DVI/HDMI out. Asus made. No HP/Acer.$500.If offered, any other takers? I've considered a netbook for a while. While the Intel CULV chips are sick, the Atom is downright shameful.[/citation]
For $500... no.
That $500 would be better put to use on a full size laptop with much more power.

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
I could care less what OS it has, it's what the OS allows you to do that is important.
Printing is a major must and the last time I checked most printers companies only have drivers for Windows, OSX and Linux.
Not iOS.
Not Android.
No OSX tablet likely so I guess Linux and Windows are the only ones left.
Generally you can install Linux on any Windows based machine, so whoever gets a Windows based tablet out will give access to users of both OS's.

C'mon hardware vendors! What're you waiting for?

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
ASUS needs to improve their tablet line. They need active and passive digitizers... And they need to market to art/architecture/engineering students...

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
[citation][nom]dark_lord69[/nom]For $500... no.That $500 would be better put to use on a full size laptop with much more power.[/citation]
Sometimes, I want small.
If I want big, I always got my desktop and 23".
I could even throw a 9" thin laptop in some cargo pants.

Euphoria_MK

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2009
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Lower Prices... these babies would be flying off the shelves at $169... and Asus would still be making money.[/citation]

I'll drink to that

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I'd have bought a Netbook for its portability but I've been waiting for a decent priced dual core one. Currently buying a Netbook like that is the same price as a full size laptop. That's the reason I haven't picked one up. Also waiting for SSD's to be included that are bigger than 8 or 16gb.

danimal_the_animal

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2006
Asus Problems is plain and simple.

They need to find a way to sell their netbook with a ~10inch screen that has a resolution of 1366x768 and comes with nvidia ion graphics for 299.99

THAT will kill the ipad for sure!

Status
Not open for further replies.