[SOLVED] ASUS ROG G20 (i7 6700, GTX 970) graphics card toasted. Need help for an alternative!

Mar 23, 2020
Hi guys,

I hope you can help me. My standard ASUS Geforce GTX 970 got toasted a few days ago. I ordered a Gigabyte Geforce GTX 1660 Super OC 6G card, which arrived today. Just tried to fit it in, however it won't fit in my PC! :(

Do I only need to look at ASUS cards? Or can you help me to find a suitable new graphics card? Many thanks!!

PC:
ASUS ROG G20CB-NL016T
i7 6700 @ 3.4 Ghz
16GB RAM
Geforce GTX 970 4GB

Roy

Solution
Small case, you'll probably need to get one of the ITX versions for it to fit. This one may work but you'll want to double check the space inside the case compared to the card before buying to make sure.

PCPartPicker Part List
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB Phoenix OC Video Card ($229.99 @ B&H)
Total: $229.99
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-03-23 16:25 EDT-0400

Which PSU is it, the 180W or 230W?

WildCard999

Titan
Small case, you'll probably need to get one of the ITX versions for it to fit. This one may work but you'll want to double check the space inside the case compared to the card before buying to make sure.

PCPartPicker Part List
Video Card: Asus GeForce GTX 1660 SUPER 6 GB Phoenix OC Video Card ($229.99 @ B&H)

Solution
Mar 23, 2020
what do you mean it won't fit? is your case to small? if yes what case are you currently using? also what PSU make and model?
First of all I cannot close the PCI slot. After trying a workaround (removing the locking mechanism), I also cannot fit it in the usual space to put in the card. The desktop has a metal piece inside which prohibits me from lowering it in the bay.

if you google: asus rog inside then it's the lower right corner

[lower right corner]

PSU: 410W

Mar 23, 2020

PCPartPicker Part List

Thanks for the tip man! That's definately worth a shot. I will check it out.

I have the double power connections PSU, so I'd figure the highest (230W). Will check.

First of all I cannot close the PCI slot. After trying a workaround (removing the locking mechanism), I also cannot fit it in the usual space to put in the card. The desktop has a metal piece inside which prohibits me from lowering it in the bay.

if you google: asus rog inside then it's the lower right corner

[lower right corner]

PSU: 410W
you know i apologize, i re read your OP where the model is clearly stated my mistake

Mar 23, 2020
Hi guys, below a pic of the slot as well as the original card. I also reached out to ASUS to help, but not sure how fast they will be in these corona times..

ASUS ROG Slot
The marked fields show the two points that cannot close with the new card. The locking mechanism for the slot as well as a metal part of the casing which hinders the card from going in.

Geforce GTX 970 ASUS
Here you see how clean the body of the old card was. No parts sticking out so fits perfectly.

Mar 23, 2020
Great news! I found a second hand GTX 980 for a good price. Just tried installing it, however this video hard needs 2 x 6 pin power supply. I only got the one so I will buy another cable.

It seems you also have to adjust a jumper on the mainboard to enable the second power supply for the graphic card. On this tutorial they speak about the JDC11 jumper to adjust. Seems simple right? NO! I only have the JDC01 - 02 - 03 - 04 - 05 as my options. Which one do I need to adjust??