Question Asus Rog Strix b550-f II and 2nd gen amd processer

Mar 12, 2023
I understand that the mobo only supports 3rd gen and up processors (bought a new CPU to rectify my dumb mistake) but I just wanted to confirm something with my setup.

If I have a 2700x processor on the mobo and I press to power it on, will it not power on at all as the CPU is not compatible? What I mean by this is will the fans and nothing at all turn on?

The RGB on the motherboard is on showing it's getting power and I checked the front panel connectors a million times so I know it can't be either of that, so I just mainly want confirmation that if the CPU isn't compatible with the motherboard and PC will it stop itself from powering on at all?

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Mar 12, 2023
Compatible CPUs for that motherboard can be found here:

Trying one not listed could damage both the CPU and the motherboard.

Thanks for the quick reply, what I should have specified is I did press power on but nothing happened, no fans no nothing. Is that expected when it comes to non-compatibility with a CPU and mobo (maybe the motherboard stopping power as it's not compatible?) or would a non compatible one try to power on and then crash before getting to the bios?

Essentially I'm worried that my system has something else broke that's completely stopping the computer turning on.

Mar 12, 2023
Are you expecting a compatible CPU soon? If so, just wait. Don't worry until you have the proper components to test with.

Yeah it'll literally be arriving tomorrow. I mainly just thought that me not realising for a bit and trying to power on a few times could have caused the power to short the entire board or smth with fans not attempting to spin etc.

But the motherboard does have RGB lights showing so I guess it does have power and should be fine. For now I've unplugged it all and left it until I replace the CPU tomorrow.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
Yeah it'll literally be arriving tomorrow. I mainly just thought that me not realising for a bit and trying to power on a few times could have caused the power to short the entire board or smth with fans not attempting to spin etc.

But the motherboard does have RGB lights showing so I guess it does have power and should be fine. For now I've unplugged it all and left it until I replace the CPU tomorrow.
You are likely okay, but waiting is your best bet at this point. You must also have a GPU installed. What GPU do you have?

Mar 12, 2023
So good news all round here. It's working!

The CPU definetly played a factor in some of the issues, I also noticed though that a certain important cable was also not plugged in properly PSU side which is why it never started...

Oh well, at least it's working now. Just getting the system to reset fully now and it's stuck on 27% but considering all the drives I have and the fact it's a full system wipe and reset, I imagine it'll take some time.

Latest posts