Question ASUS ROG Strix XG27WQ connection issues

ADB91

Honorable
Jun 3, 2014
Hi all,

I've just purchased an Asus strix XG27WQ in the black friday price cut - I primarily got it for my PlayStation 5, however I would also like to use it on occasion for my PC.

I have 2 monitors on my desk and my current set up is getting a bit older now, it is as follows:
As rock Z97X MoBo
AMD R9 280
8GB Ram
i5 4690k

I managed to connect both monitors via HDMI, my old 1080p was straight from the MoBo and the new monitor straight into my GPU.

This worked fine for a while but then suddenly my PC decided not to work on 1440p on my new monitor, flashing black a few times before just going of completely. It worked for a few hours barring a few screen flashes and I didn't change any settings for it to start doing this.

The PC works on my 1080p monitor still and looks like it works on my new monitor @ 1080p too.

Any ideas why I can't get it to run on my new monitor without it going black? Is this a bandwidth thing my older GPU can't handle or a system setting?

I have tried using just the one HDMI from GPU to new monitor and that still doesn't work now. Freesync turned off on monitor too shows the same.

Thanks in advance.

ADB91

Honorable
Jun 3, 2014
Is the compatibility just for the Freesync features? I disabled Freesync in my monitor's settings hoping that would help alleviate that issue.
I haven't tried DP as my GPU/Mobo don't have a port on them for it - Just HDMI or VGA.

ADB91

Honorable
Jun 3, 2014
One other note: I disabled the AMD drivers and the new monitor did seem to run a lot more stable, however only under Microsoft basic display adapter drivers which is no good for me.