Asus ROG Swift PG278Q 27-inch G-Sync Monitor Review

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

CraigN

Distinguished
That is interesting. I didn't even notice till just now. Maybe they forgot? Given the price and premium quality it almost seems prime for a TH Elite award. I wonder why it got nothing? They did link the wrong amazon page after all :p

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
Here's something that has me thinking...

Usually, when Tom's Hardware determines a product is 'smart' or exceptional, they give it some kind of 'Tom's Hardware' accolade. There isn't one with this monitor which makes me wonder why?

I noticed that too! Maybe they rushed this review a bit since they knew people were waiting for it.

Merry_Blind

Reputable
Jul 10, 2014
And thanks CraigN for all your explanations. I know the difference between Hz and Framerate. It's really just how those strobing backlight technologies work that got me confused. Good to know that it really only depends on the Hz and not the fps itself.

I won't be getting this monitor though now... because I want a new screen with great motion resolution for both my PC and my Wii U.

I'll either settle for that BenQ gaming monitor that allows strobing at 60hz, or an HDTV that has such features (obviously don't want that interpolation crap).

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
Oh, what surprise. Another Asus paper launch. This monitor is not available for sale anywhere and it doesn't even show up as an official product on the main Asus website. <sigh>

Phuntasm

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014
For me it'll come down to this vs Overlord this Fall. What is the viewing angle like on this? I currently have a pretty old Samsung 2233RZ (120Hz TN) and the difference based on the angle of my vision is tremendous. Even staring at it straight on, you'll see a difference between top-middle-bottom of the screen. As a result I am really concerned about TN panels in that department. Overlord might be fast enough for the difference to not be noticable compared to this, but it provides all the advantages of an IPS panel.

CraigN

Distinguished

What are you talking about? It's right here. And for sale in the EU right now. It launches late this month in the US.

http://www.asus.com/Monitors/ROG_SWIFT_PG278Q/

Other reviews have mentioned a 170 Degree viewing angle.

hmp_goose

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2010
TN never automatically meant 6-bit color. It's just the most common production type.
Everything I've ever read on the subject said it was automatic, and in fact, I've never heard of an 8-bit TN until this story.

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007

Talking about the US. And, no it does not show up on their website here:

http://www.asus.com/us/Monitors_Projectors/3D_Gaming_Monitors_Products/

Ninjawithagun

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2007
This monitor uses an 8-bit TN panel, but don't expect colors to look anywhere near as good as an 8-bit or 10-bit IPS montor. What you do get is superior response time, GamePlus (onscreen aiming reticle & timer), and dynamic refresh rates (courtesy of Nvidia's awesome G-Sync technology, but does require the use of an Nvidia G-Sync compatible graphics card).

Rendezvous

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Asus this is for you...

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/fsn2007/IMG_20140813_155325.jpg

As you can see im putting it in my disk drive with the misplaced hope that it somehow gets to you...because this money is just sitting in my room waiting for you to take it....but really what im tryin to say is hurry the f*** up cause i need this damn monitor to complete my set up. And maybe for there i can looked forward to a some GTX 880s SLI and my first cooling loop..

CraigN

Distinguished
Question - why are you looking at monitor clearly designed to be used as a primary gaming monitor outside of 170 degrees?

NVIDIA doesn't even support Tri-Surround over 3 Cards (Since you need 3 cards to do Surround, since they each need one DisplayPort) on their current driver versions yet, and in a surround setup, you still won't be outside of 170 degrees.

Rendezvous

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Asus this is for you...

As you can see im putting it in my disk drive with the misplaced hope that it somehow gets to you...because this money is just sitting in my room waiting for you to take it....but really what im tryin to say is hurry the f*** up cause i need this damn monitor to complete my set up. And maybe for there i can looked forward to a some GTX 880s SLI and my first cooling loop..

Rendezvous

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Asus this is for you...

Asus this is for you...

Asus this is for you...

****from****

IPS comment:
I love my U2711 and despite understanding how awesome G-Sync is I won't take a step back to a TN-Panel.

I don't require a 144Hz IPS panel though since G-Sync runs very smoothly even as low as 40FPS so a 60Hz panel would be fine.

If we could get an IPS panel to 85Hz or higher with G-Sync and solve some of the motion blur as well that would be the perfect monitor.

Here's something that has me thinking...

Usually, when Tom's Hardware determines a product is 'smart' or exceptional, they give it some kind of 'Tom's Hardware' accolade. There isn't one with this monitor which makes me wonder why?

I noticed that too! Maybe they rushed this review a bit since they knew people were waiting for it.
Here we are a couple of days later and still no award from Tom's Hardware. To me, that says something. Also, even though the contrast is decent, it's a little lower than I might have expected given the older 24" version of the G-sync monitor is off the charts.

Also, since Asus is making me wait this long (by which more and more, my current 120Hz monitor is seeming to be increasingly sufficient), maybe it's best to make Asus wait for my money until after the other G-sync offerings (like the Acer 4K G-sync monitor later this year) are released so I can compare? Also, I'm curious to see a side-by-side with freesync by which AMD claims a two-way handshake is not necessary between the video card and monitor.

MonteK

Honorable
Sep 28, 2012
With these new LED TV's that have a computer input will they work correctly showing graphics as crisp and clear?

Monte
www.BettorsChat.com

Phuntasm

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014

Side-to-side actually seems alright, so the purported 170 is alright (although 2233RZ claims 170 and it is nowhere near that), but up-and-down has always been my issue. I have a tendency to shift around for comfort while gaming (recline or sit straight up for example), and I hate having to readjust the monitor angle to always be 90 degrees to my vision. That video shows dramatic changes vertically, and the reviewer even points out that looking at the monitor straight he could see differences in hues and lighting between top, middle, and bottom of the screen.

I should have clarified which angles I was looking at.

Phuntasm

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2014

Overlord has a thread on their forum talking about it. Apparently there is a queue to be approved for G-Sync and they are currently in that queue. Here: http://overlordforum.com/topic/603-nvidia-g-sync/

ajlong12

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
So Tom's, now that you have reviewed both the SWIFT and the Overlord, which do you prefer? I would assume the SWIFT has better motion clarity as it is a TN panel rated at 144Hz... but how does everything else compare? Which is the better choice for AMD gamers who can't use Gsync? I need opinions from those who have used both monitors.

ajlong12

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014
So Tom's, now that you have reviewed both the SWIFT and the Overlord, which do you prefer? I would assume the SWIFT has better motion clarity as it is a TN panel rated at 144Hz... but how does everything else compare? Which is the better choice for AMD gamers who can't use Gsync? I need opinions from those who have used both monitors.

ajlong12

Reputable
Aug 10, 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.