Asus ROG Swift PG278Q 27-inch G-Sync Monitor Review

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok... Why isn't this shipping to the U.S. yet? Do they have to produce a version of it that can pass California emissions testing??? Is there too much lead content??? Did they run out of mailing labels??? What is it Asus???

Rendezvous

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
So today is the 25th...just wondering do you guys think that if I go on Newegg or Tigerdirect tonight after 12am will this monitor be listed...or will it take a couple of days for us to see it on common sites. I read somewhere it would be available 12am on August 26th..

CraigN

Distinguished
Not sure where you read it.

TigerDirect had some available on Friday or Saturday but they already sold out of their stock.
Newegg has had a placeholder page up for a few days but hasn't shown any as available for purchase yet.

From the impressions I got from the ASUS forums rep, August 26th would be the date they guaranteed the stock they sent would be shipped, so any delay after that is however long it takes for the etailers to get the product into their system.

Rendezvous

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
Not sure where you read it.

TigerDirect had some available on Friday or Saturday but they already sold out of their stock.
Newegg has had a placeholder page up for a few days but hasn't shown any as available for purchase yet.

From the impressions I got from the ASUS forums rep, August 26th would be the date they guaranteed the stock they sent would be shipped, so any delay after that is however long it takes for the etailers to get the product into their system.

Thanks for the info. Did an Auto-notify @ newegg...hopefully i get a chance to order one tomorrow

Rendezvous

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
If anyone cares Tiger Direct has this now in stock.. I personally will wait for newegg to have it...I know thats silly but i prefer Newegg

Rendezvous

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013
If anyone cares Tiger Direct has this now in stock.. I personally will wait for newegg to have it...I know thats silly but i prefer Newegg

Rendezvous

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013

Well is was available sometime yesterday afternoon..saw it myself.

Rendezvous

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013

Um Yea it is I ordered one yesterday also. They just go out of stock quick so you have to be vigilant if you want to purchase one. But you can keep being oblivious If you want...won't affect those who will be enjoying the pg278q this weekend.

CraigN

Distinguished

I suppose this giant box in my living room when I got home is a fake.

14865995257_4965165834_h.jpg

Or me taking a selfie next to it.
15029546676_f02de96b68_c.jpg

So is:
Best Buy
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/asus-republic-of-gamers-swift-27-3d-lcd-hd-monitor/8678008.p?id=1219357507532&skuId=8678008&st=PG278Q&cp=1&lp=1
Newegg
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236405
TigerDirect
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=9175893&CatId=5469#YellowBox

Fry's
b0fbf375_stock.jpeg

c4a5881b_tag.jpeg

We're all liars and trolls, clearly.

Rendezvous

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013

Nice man mine is scheduled for delivery this Saturday...I hope thats correct cause i dont want to wait till Tuesday due to the holiday this Monday

CraigN

Distinguished
You should probably get it on time. Newegg had no problem getting mine to me on time. I paid extra for the one day shipping since I'm in TX so I didn't get charged tax. The hard part now is color calibrating it without one of those professional doohickeys (technical term! :p ) and instead based on what looks right to my eye :p

Rendezvous

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2013

Yea i was so excited about buying it that i didnt think to pay for faster shipping :p Only thing that really sucks is that i live in Maryland so i cant really expect it to be here any sooner than Sat...if FedEx even delivers on Saturday..

Also there is a calibration guide i found that i plan on using on this very site!

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/rog-swift-pg278q-g-sync-monitor,3897-4.html

What do you think about it so far? Anything strange? Any gotchas?

CraigN

Distinguished
So far I haven't had any issues with it. Gaming wise, I love it, it's the best screen I've ever used, but I've never owned an IPS. The build quality is excellent. It feels *VERY* sturdy compared to my old VG248QE, and the rotation mechanism feels a lot less... Flimsy isn't the right word, but it's what I'm going to use here. The 24" rotated pretty easily, sometimes to a fault. The PG278Q takes a conscious effort to turn it, you won't be accidentally tilting your screen every time you reach over to change the OSD.

Bringing that up, the OSD is a joy to maneuver and very intuitive. Took me all of seconds to figure out. No "gotchas" that I've noticed yet, I haven't tested ULMB yet. 1080p@144 Hz works just fine too, for anyone who might need to step it down a notch. GSYNC is everything it's cracked up to be, but I already knew that from my modded VG248. I have yet to try 3D on the monitor, but I imagine it will be impressive.

I will say, you can't enable ULMB on the fly. If you're already in a game, you can't use the Turbo switch to go to 120hz and turn on ULMB. You have to turn off GSync first.

The only thing wonky (like I mentioned the need to do it before) is the color calibration out of the box. It's a touch warm for my taste, and a touch dim. But the OSD lets you adjust that, as well as the Nvidia control panel. Also, the monitor does put out a decent amount of heat, and its a bit warm to the touch while you're using the OSD buttons, but nothing that I would say needs to be concerned about.

Thunderous81

Honorable
Jan 13, 2013
Question: Will Sli'd GTX 670 with displayport 1.0 make a difference with this monitor or will there be some performance/non-function?

CraigN

Distinguished
Requires DisplayPort 1.2 as far as I know. You may be limited in resolution/refresh rate options on 1.0, since 1.2 has double the bandwidth of 1.0 so you do run a risk of some performance or non-functionality. Which GTX 670s do you have? I find it odd that a card released in 2012 doesn't have a 1.2 port that was standardized in 2009.

Got it and played a game of BF4 with it after setting it up and putting my old Acer HN274H 1080 120Hz 3D monitor (still is a great monitor!) on craiglist. I do like the added resolution and the ultra-thin bezel of the new monitor. I'm going to try switching off SLI and running games with a single 780 while playing over the weekend to see the benefits of G-sync at lower framerates (ie 60fps and lower).

CraigN

Distinguished
Do you have Metro Last Light Redux by any chance? Cranking up the settings on that even with SLI will give you a pretty good idea just how smooth 40-60 FPS can look!

I don't have Last Light Redux, but I'll try Metro 2033 or Crysis 3. They'll definitely be in that fps range. I'll also run BF4. I want to see if I can accept using one video card given the performance of the G-sync. If it goes well, I may be a one-card guy from this point forward.

Status
Not open for further replies.