Asus' Sabertooth P67 Mobo Has a Tactical Vest

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

i thought they would give an actual tactical vest that you can wear

mortonww

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
I don't understand. Is this supposed to capture air from a CPU heatsink that blows air downward and beneath the covering? How will this help people wiht H50's or aftermarket heatsinks that don't exhaust downward.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
Neat I guess.....seems like an attempt to keep people from modifying the board. Hope it is removable without voiding the warranty....

Mr Pizza

Distinguished
Jun 12, 2010
I Like how they cover the PCB.. it's something no motherboard company has done before but I wish they would have made it all level and not have little squares in it with screws and such. And if you are going to cover the PCB... cover ALL of it.

RipperjackAU

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
Well at least now when you drop your screwdriver into your case, while installing PCIe cards, you can be sure that you're not going to scratch up the PCB tracks, on your motherboard. That alone makes this a good idea.

brianmoz

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]sirmorluk[/nom]I like it. Rather spartan looking.[/citation]

I thought what made spartan's stand out is how naked they were.

gorillateets

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
I wish my motherboard was bullet proof. My case is always getting shot at when I'm on the computer...
Has anyone ever heard of a motherboard overheating to the point of failure? If anyone is seriously considering buying the mobo why not use better cooling? Sounds cheaper than that mobo. Looks very pricey. What a load of crap.

coggsman

Distinguished
May 24, 2009
[citation][nom]sunflier[/nom]Looks cool (no pun). Curious how effective it is or is it simply a marketing ploy.[/citation]
My guess is 70/30 favoring marketing ploy.

If it was really that great of an idea we probably would have seen it before.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]cosmishine[/nom]i thought they would give an actual tactical vest that you can wear[/citation]
Right, because clearly you need one, whilst taking computers apart in your parents' basement where you live.

wotan31

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2009
[citation][nom]coggsman[/nom]My guess is 70/30 favoring marketing ploy.If it was really that great of an idea we probably would have seen it before.[/citation]
The idea isn't new. This is called ducting. It is used extensively in the computer world- just not at the consumer level. Think the 4+ Ghz POWER7 cpus in IBM mainframes. I wonder how effective this one is though, or if the design was dictated mostly by aesthetics.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
[citation][nom]gorillateets[/nom]I wish my motherboard was bullet proof. My case is always getting shot at when I'm on the computer... Has anyone ever heard of a motherboard overheating to the point of failure? If anyone is seriously considering buying the mobo why not use better cooling? Sounds cheaper than that mobo. Looks very pricey. What a load of crap.[/citation]

Yes i have on multiple occasions. @ The overheating part.

The cooling feature of is nice if it works but i bet a lot of ppl will buy it for protection while swapping components less exposed areas where a screw driver can slip and break something. It also looks really cool which i know isn't the number one thing that is decided on when buying a motherboard but it helps if it looks good =P. Also the price isn't released so we really cant say if its an overpriced feature anyway.

ultim8wpn

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2008
[citation][nom]mortonww[/nom]I don't understand. Is this supposed to capture air from a CPU heatsink that blows air downward and beneath the covering? How will this help people wiht H50's or aftermarket heatsinks that don't exhaust downward.[/citation]

you have a legit point.

Kind of looks like a spot over the video card(small square with 4 screws, asus has given cooling options for passive/water coolers in the past by way of a small blower fan.) where one may be able to remove a little door and add a fan to help cool it down for users without stock cooling.

Lets wait and see how this overclocks.

techcurious

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
It's just another "feature" that might look good on paper, especially for marketing and standing out among probably better products. In the end, I expect that the cost will far outweigh the benefits of such a "cover". The only thing that would normally direct a lot of heat to the motherboard would be poorly designed cooling of enthusiast graphics cards. I think it will be better to come up with better graphics card cooler designs that dont blow so much hot air back into the case and at the motherboard. At least this cover would protect the board from accidental damage from dropping a heavy graphics card while working on the pc, or a slipping screw driver. But then, they should cover those last few open spaces too. Oh, and since when does the CPU blow cool air? If it's blowing cool air, then there must be something wrong with your CPU cooler setup! *raises one eyebrow*

sirmorluk

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]brianmoz[/nom]I thought what made spartan's stand out is how naked they were.[/citation]
I guess if you swing that way. Although I have never heard of that as a Spartan indentifier.

Status
Not open for further replies.