[SOLVED] Asus Sabertooth Z77 Motherboard Dual Monitor Support??

Status
Not open for further replies.

peter999

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
I have a desktop with an Asus Sabertooth A77 mobo that I built a few years back. People seem to indicate that dual monitor support will work when using both integrated displayport and hdmi ports. I have updated the BIOS to (latest found) V2004 and turned on iGPU Multi-Monitor in the BIOS. I also upgraded the Intel HD Graphics 4000 to the latest driver. When I extend the displays using Start key + P nothing happens.

Should this work and is there any magic I am missing? Or should I start looking for a graphics card?

The latest BIOS would be version 2104

disable the multi monitor setting again, it´s a feature to use the integrated and a dedicated GPU at the same time.

Increase the memory of the iGPU to 1024MB in BIOS if possible and try using both video connections of your motherboard again in windows.

Read the manual how to do so on page 3-26

peter999

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
BIOS I have is 2104, sorry got that wrong. I did disable the multi monitor setting and change the memory of the iGPU from Auto to 1024 but still no luck. My other thought is that I am using an HDMI cable with a dongle that converts from HDMI to DisplayPort and that may not have some necessary detection/power wires. So just ordered one from Amazon to see if that helps. However it is helpful to know this should work for intents and purposes. Not sure if there is anything else I can try in the meantime. Thanks!!!!

peter999

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
The latest BIOS would be version 2104

disable the multi monitor setting again, it´s a feature to use the integrated and a dedicated GPU at the same time.

Increase the memory of the iGPU to 1024MB in BIOS if possible and try using both video connections of your motherboard again in windows.

Read the manual how to do so on page 3-26
Got a DisplayPort to HDMI cable and still no joy. Also made the suggested iGPU settings. Not sure what else to try!!!!

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Which way? You need a hdmi-dp adapter, that goes from Hdmi to DisplayPort. A DisplayPort to Hdmi will not work, neither goes backwards, only 1 way.

You'll also need to enable multi monitor in windows under the display tab.

Also need to verify the monitors are on the right input setting, that'd be DisplayPort for the one, not Hdmi.

peter999

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
Which way? You need a hdmi-dp adapter, that goes from Hdmi to DisplayPort. A DisplayPort to Hdmi will not work, neither goes backwards, only 1 way.

You'll also need to enable multi monitor in windows under the display tab.

Also need to verify the monitors are on the right input setting, that'd be DisplayPort for the one, not Hdmi.
I do notice the BIOS Screen briefly flashes on the other monitor before it boots to my main monitor on the HDMI port. I press Start Key + P and extend but nothing happens however. I am not sure about the other windows settings. I did go into device manager and right click on monitors and scan for hardware changes but only see the one monitor. In Display settings it shows the second monitor but states display not detected.

which monitors are you using? probably an adapter fault. From the motherboard´s displayport to HDMI monitor you can use a simple one but from motherboard´s HDMI to displayport you should use an active converter.

Try the intel graphics settings driver tool instead of the windows display settings

Last edited:

peter999

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
which monitors are you using? probably an adapter fault. From the motherboard´s displayport to HDMI monitor you can use a simple one but from motherboard´s HDMI to displayport you should use an active converter.

Try the intel graphics settings driver tool instead of the windows display settings
Hmmm, my primary monitor is actually a Samsung TV which I inherited and putting to good use. In device manager it is showing up as Generic PnP Monitor so maybe that has something to do with it. I tried disconnecting the TV to see if it would force to the other monitor but it did not. I don't see a second monitor in the Intel settings. When both monitors are plugged in and I restart. I do not see the BIOS screen and the second monitor flashes a screen with a loading bar. Subsequently my primary monitor comes on with the windows screen. Maybe it is the cable. I ordered a hardwired cable from Amazon that is displayport to hdmi so think it would work?

peter999

Distinguished
May 27, 2009
So one monitor is HDMI connected TV.
What is model name of the other monitor? Does it have Display Port input option?
The other monitor is an Acer monitor and is pretty new. Unfortunately it does not have a DisplayPort connection. So that's why I purchased an HDMI to DisplayPort cable. The cable I purchased says it is unidirectional.

The other monitor is an Acer monitor and is pretty new. Unfortunately it does not have a DisplayPort connection. So that's why I purchased an HDMI to DisplayPort cable. The cable I purchased says it is unidirectional.
Can you find model name of the monitor? It's written on a label at back of the monitor.

If output on PC is Display Port and input on monitor is HDMI, then you need Display Port to HDMI adapter.
HDMI to Display Port adapter will not work there.

Do you have a link to product page of exact adapter, you're using?

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.