GeorgeRG

Reputable
Nov 17, 2019
Hello,
I upgraded my motherboard from an MSI B350 to an ASUS B450-f Strix. Everything went as expected (Windows deactivated and installed all new drivers) but the problem is that the system does not reboot. When I power up the system it boots up, then when I try to restart the system from within Windows it shuts down, It boots back up the Asus logo shows on the screen (With the small text saying press DEL or F2 to enter setup), the BOOT (the green one) LED lights up on the motherboard but never gets past this point. At this point, I can ALT+CTRL+DEL to repeat the motherboard initialization but again it does not get past the ASUS logo screen. The only way to continue from there, even to get to the bios, is to power down the system by pressing the power button and then powering it up again

The hardware I am using is:

CPU: Ryzen 5 5600x
GPU: Radeon RX 5700xt
RAM: 16G G.Skill Ripjaws V @ 3200 MT/s
MB: Asus ROG Strix B450-F
NVME: Kingstone A1000

I cleared the BIOS multiple times but didn't fix the issue.
I also tried the solution to this forum question but that did not fix it either.

Thanks for any reply in advance.

Solution
For anyone having the same problem.

After some experimenting if found a solution. I don't know why it works or if it is the correct one but the problem goes away if you set the NVME mode to RAID in the BIOS settings.

Lutfij

Titan
Everything went as expected (Windows deactivated and installed all new drivers) but the problem is that the system does not reboot.
You're advised to reinstall your OS if that's what you didn't do, when you swap motherboards. You also forgot to mention the make and model of your PSU and it's age. If you did reinstall your OS, where did you source the installer for your OS? As for the drivers, did you install all relevant drivers for your platform, manually, in an elevated command, .e, Right click installer>Run as Administrator?

GeorgeRG

Reputable
Nov 17, 2019
Well, I knew that I could not avoid it so I just reinstalled my OS (Windows 11 from the official Microsoft site) and went ahead and installed all the updates and official drivers with elevated permissions. That includes all the drivers mentioned on the ASUS site as well as the AMD site for the CPU/chipset and GPU. I also unplugged all the other connected drives.

As for my PSU, I know that it is not enough and it is not recommended but I use a 4-year-old Thermaltake 500w unit. I know I need to change it but financially I cannot afford a better one now.

Correct me if I am wrong but I don't think that the PSU can cause this problem, especially considering that everything worked with the old motherboard. It seems to me that the problem may be caused by a compatibility issue or some setting on the BIOS.

GeorgeRG

Reputable
Nov 17, 2019
For anyone having the same problem.

After some experimenting if found a solution. I don't know why it works or if it is the correct one but the problem goes away if you set the NVME mode to RAID in the BIOS settings.

Solution