[SOLVED] ASUS Strix B550-F ARGB Header Capacity

verstappen64

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022
I am in the process of building my first gaming pc and I have a question regarding the header capacity on the
ASUS Strix B550-F motherboard. I am hoping my build will include 6 ARGB fans. (4 Phanteks SK-PWM 140 fans and 2 ARGB fans that came with my MSI-280 R CPU cooler.

I recently had an on-line chat with ASUS Technical Support and they informed me that I was only limited to 3 fans on this particular motherboards ARGB header which I only have one of.

What is confusing me is that I have seen and heard of more fans attached to a single header. Could someone please give me the ultimate low down on either if it is possible to attach more fans to this header or am I really at my limit with this particular motherboard?

I would welcome any solutions or comment on this and I thank you in advance.

Solution
Pretty sure you will need a Phanteks adapter to connect those D-RGB fans to the ASUS Aura sync ARGB header on that motherboard anyhow, and then the ones on your cooler are different and likely won't work with that Phanteks adapter which itself will need to be using the single ARGB header on the board. In any case, I believe ASUS tech support was right when they said the header supports only 3 ARGB devices, based on what I can find.

https://www.tomshardware.com/news/phanteks-digital-rb-starter-kit,36773.html

This thread actually answers the question regarding how many fans, because in reality it depends on what the power requirements of the lighting on the fans is, per fan...
Pretty sure you will need a Phanteks adapter to connect those D-RGB fans to the ASUS Aura sync ARGB header on that motherboard anyhow, and then the ones on your cooler are different and likely won't work with that Phanteks adapter which itself will need to be using the single ARGB header on the board. In any case, I believe ASUS tech support was right when they said the header supports only 3 ARGB devices, based on what I can find.

This thread actually answers the question regarding how many fans, because in reality it depends on what the power requirements of the lighting on the fans is, per fan.

Most likely though, you are going to need to get either fans that all have the same type of connector, not proprietary like the Phankteks fans which I believe ARE proprietary (But, I could be wrong. Admittedly the newer ARGB lighting systems and the variety of proprietary versions of it, are not my best area.) or possibly controller that supports multiple types or multiple controllers.

Solution

verstappen64

Prominent
Mar 14, 2022

This thread actually answers the question regarding how many fans, because in reality it depends on what the power requirements of the lighting on the fans is, per fan.

Most likely though, you are going to need to get either fans that all have the same type of connector, not proprietary like the Phankteks fans which I believe ARE proprietary (But, I could be wrong. Admittedly the newer ARGB lighting systems and the variety of proprietary versions of it, are not my best area.) or possibly controller that supports multiple types or multiple controllers.

Thank you Darkbreeze for your answer , I did a little research after I intially wrote this and found a sata powered ARGB Fan hub, I believe Made by Artic that has enough fan connectors on it. Would this help solve my 3 fan limit problem or, even with this i risk blowing my brand new Motherboard into next week. or am I just barking up the wrong tree again ?

I don't know really, but what you ought to do is figure out precisely what connector your Phanteks fans have for ARGB and what connector the other fans have, see if they are the same, see if they match what is on your board or the hub you're looking at getting. I don't know anything about the hub, or what it's model is, so I can't really say.