Question Asus Tuf Dash F15 ---- unable to start Linux install from UEFI pendrive ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 1, 2023
Hi all,

I am trying to install a linux OS (with kernel 4.12) via USB on my Asus Tuf Dash F15 (FX517ZM).

Basically when I select to boot from that pendrive I just get a black screen with a dash. This is very strange, I have never seen it before.

I have tried all possible UEFI setting options, burning in the pendrive with different tools (including Rufus).
Pendrive perfectly works on other PCs, and I have burned and tried other pendrives too. Recent versions of Linux seem ok but I must install this one for other reasons.

This ASUS UEFI is very basic. It does not seem to allow even to use the BIOS mode to try the legacy boot (there is no option in the UEFI screens).

Any hints ?

The most likely scenario here is that kernel 4.12 is far too old to be used on the hardware chosen, it is 6 years old after all and knows nothing of your new hardware. In this case there is nothing can be done except to update to a newer distribution/kernel.

Feb 1, 2023
Yes, it is old, but there must be something else that can be done. As soon as I press the button to load the pendrive it goes blank. In all other times, at least a minimal linux screen was shown. Now nothing. The kernel is probably not even loaded into RAM.

Yes, it is old, but there must be something else that can be done......
Yes, use a newer kernel. There is no magic wand that can be waved to make this work.

.....In all other times, at least a minimal linux screen was shown. Now nothing. The kernel is probably not even loaded into RAM.
It's not loading because it is incompatible with this specific system. Again, you need a newer distribution.

Feb 1, 2023
there is an application that must run explicitly with that Linux version. It is not my requirement.
The only other solution is to buy another laptop, and I am not joking. Of course I will use this laptop for something else, but that's the reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS