[SOLVED] ASUS TUF F15 battery level drops when shutting down

Oct 17, 2021
Hello, everyone!

I'm new here, nice to meet you all and I have THREE questions. I hope I post this on the correct category.

1. What is the correct way to maintain battery health for heavy gaming? I've read a lot of articles and everything isn't consistent regarding on how to maintain your battery. So, I'm really confused on what to do exactly, every articles tend to contradict with each other. Some says you don't have to charge above 60%, some says above 80%, some says drain your battery to 5 percent once in a while for calibration, some says don't let it drop below 20 percent. So, what should I do with my ASUS TUF F15 (for heavy gaming and virtual meetings/working/browsing)

2. Is ASUS Battery Health Management good to use? Because my laptop is plugged in all the time for heavy gaming, I use the "Maximum Lifespan Mode" which stops the battery at 60% to extend batteries life cycle. However, whenever I shut my laptop down, unplug and then, in the next hours when I'm about to use, I plug the AC back and turn my laptop on, it will start at 59% and charge back to 60%. Isn't it a bad thing to do because it keeps recharging to return to the designated level?

3. THIS IS SOMETHING I'M HAVING TROUBLE WITH TO UNDERSTAND. When I used my laptop for gaming, I used it on AC and 100% charge (back then, before using ASUS Battery Health Management), it's plugged in all the time. However, when I'm done playing and wanted to move to another table, I shutdown my laptop while it is still plugged. After waiting for it to shutdown, then I moved the laptop to another table and plugged it back before turning it on. Then, I was surprised to find out that my laptop starts at 40%. How come it dropped to 40% from 100% while it was plugged in all the time?

This is the battery report and I found it unusual, battery life estimates also drops these past few days:

This is the battery usage. Between 18:50:38 and 18:56:09, it was the shutdown phase and when I moved my laptop to another table.
mG1343I.jpg

This is the battery life estimates, it fluctuates:

Nr7eTKS.jpg

I hope anyone can enlighten me with this issue. Thank you so much for your attention and help. I appreciate everyone who helps me. Thank you :)

EDIT for SPECS:
i9-11900H and RTX 3060
Battery: ASUS LiON A32-K55, Full Cap: 93,495 mWh and Design Cap: 90,006 mWh

Solution
So all the confusion over battery power using, charging, levels etc. arise from the different generations of battery types used in laptops. In the old days NiCad was used and it was best to let the battery drain all the way to prevent a memory line if you will to recharge up to. If you constantly let it drain down to 40 percent and then recharged it, it would eventually only charge to forty percent after a total drain. Then Nimh batteries were used and you could let it drop to any level and not suffer the memory effect. But those batteries drained quickly. Now Li-Ion batteries are used. They do not suffer from memory problem, last longer than the NiCad and Nimh batteries. The Li-Ion batteries can be charged at any level, the only rule...
So all the confusion over battery power using, charging, levels etc. arise from the different generations of battery types used in laptops. In the old days NiCad was used and it was best to let the battery drain all the way to prevent a memory line if you will to recharge up to. If you constantly let it drain down to 40 percent and then recharged it, it would eventually only charge to forty percent after a total drain. Then Nimh batteries were used and you could let it drop to any level and not suffer the memory effect. But those batteries drained quickly. Now Li-Ion batteries are used. They do not suffer from memory problem, last longer than the NiCad and Nimh batteries. The Li-Ion batteries can be charged at any level, the only rule to follow is to not let them discharge fully. So everyone has their own line in the sand if you will with how low they will let their battery charge drain, to be safe, to not let it fully discharge. The only rule is not to let it go to zero.
The fluctuation in your battery reports is unknown, my guess would be a program error instead of battery problem. Just keep an eye on it and see if the problem persists.

Reactions: whoenvy
Solution
Oct 17, 2021
So all the confusion over battery power using, charging, levels etc. arise from the different generations of battery types used in laptops. In the old days NiCad was used and it was best to let the battery drain all the way to prevent a memory line if you will to recharge up to. If you constantly let it drain down to 40 percent and then recharged it, it would eventually only charge to forty percent after a total drain. Then Nimh batteries were used and you could let it drop to any level and not suffer the memory effect. But those batteries drained quickly. Now Li-Ion batteries are used. They do not suffer from memory problem, last longer than the NiCad and Nimh batteries. The Li-Ion batteries can be charged at any level, the only rule to follow is to not let them discharge fully. So everyone has their own line in the sand if you will with how low they will let their battery charge drain, to be safe, to not let it fully discharge. The only rule is not to let it go to zero.
The fluctuation in your battery reports is unknown, my guess would be a program error instead of battery problem. Just keep an eye on it and see if the problem persists.

Thanks for the information, Fix_that_Gltich! It's really good to know about that. However, about my problem, I tried to see if the problem persists. And yet, it happens yesterday (though there's a gap of 2 days from the start of the trial before it happens).

As I re-checked my battery report, it's always on the same state and spot. It went to Suspended state even though I'm shutting it down, and it only happens when I went to bed, like around 11 PM. Although sometimes it didn't happen even if it was in suspended state when I went to bed (as seen in report), but the 2 times drain happens after such state. Do you know about this suspended state?

Also, can Hibernate and Fast Startup be the factors of this problem?

Moreover, I might be too fast and closing my lid when I shut down my laptop although no light blinks anymore, should I wait for 1 minute?

1. In an administrative command prompt or PowerShell session, try running powercfg.exe /h off This will forcibly disable hibernation, and that may kick Windows into properly handling shutdown. You can run the same command with on instead of off ot undo this change.

If I disable hibernation forcibly, is it safe?