Question ASUS TUF Laptop losing performance after 2 Years

liamzell1234

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
So, my apologies if this isn't the most neat and tidy post, it's my first time on the site. Long story short, my laptop ( https://www.amazon.com/8th-Gen-i5-8300H-GeForce-FireCuda-Windows/dp/B07BP9QG2J ) has been losing performance over the years, I know they aren't the best specs ever, but they shouldn't be as bad, as they are now. For example, I used to be able to run DOOM 2016 on all ultra settings with very rare stuttering, and now I can barely run the game on medium-high with lot's of stuttering here and there. All I've done to this laptop is open it once to reapply thermal paste, reopen it again to correct my shoddy job with said thermal paste, open it thrice to add another 8 gigabytes of RAM that I checked was the same type as the 8 already installed in it, and finally open it a final time to add a 1TB M.2 SSD. I'm not sure what you all need from me, so just let me know what info you need me to gather, and I'll try my best. Thank you for reading this!

Lutfij

Titan
By same type of ram, are they both identical sticks? If they're mixed and matched, they could be the source of the problem. Also, did you make sure to clean the vents on the laptop while you were (re)applying the thermal paste on the cooling solution? You might also want to scope out the version for the BIOS on your laptop.

You should also take note of the version for Windows 10. At the time of writing we're on version 20H2. You can then download the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then reinstall your drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Adminsitrator.

See if those steps help you out.

Reactions: liamzell1234

liamzell1234

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
By same type of ram, are they both identical sticks? If they're mixed and matched, they could be the source of the problem. Also, did you make sure to clean the vents on the laptop while you were (re)applying the thermal paste on the cooling solution? You might also want to scope out the version for the BIOS on your laptop.

You should also take note of the version for Windows 10. At the time of writing we're on version 20H2. You can then download the latest drivers from Nvidia's support site, then use DDU to uninstall your GPU drivers, then reinstall your drivers in an elevated command, i.e, Right click installer>Run as Adminsitrator.

See if those steps help you out.
Identical frequency/speeds on the RAM, not the EXACT same brand, but it should be identical to it.
I did clean out my vents.
My BIOS: BIOS Version/Date American Megatrends Inc. FX504GD.316, 4/30/2019
I have the current version of Windows 10.
I went into safe mode, uninstalled my Drivers, then reinstalled the drivers from the support page with admin privilages.

I just checked and it didn't seem to help, I think maybe, MAYBE, it may have added a couple frames.

liamzell1234

Reputable
Apr 10, 2017
Update: I have completely reset my laptop, I moved the boot drive over to an SSD and installed everything fresh. It's still really bad. If again, anyone has anything, please let me know.