Asus Unleashes High-End TUF Sabertooth 990FX Gen3 R2.0

Status
Not open for further replies.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
Ugh...looks like a TU[strike]f[/strike]RD alright. :\
Pretty much the epitome of article: "A[strike]s[/strike]nus Unleashes High-End TU[strike]f[/strike]RD."

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
[citation][nom]lostmyclan[/nom]please... high grade army material... In army the the mostly high grade u have is knife and shovel...[/citation]
That`s marketing, just to justify squeezing more cash out of your pockets, and wow .. legacy PCI and no PCIe 1x .... guess if i was to buy this i would have to throw my Creative XFI PCIe x1 sound card away...

[citation][nom]ohim[/nom]That`s marketing, just to justify squeezing more cash out of your pockets, and wow .. legacy PCI and no PCIe 1x .... guess if i was to buy this i would have to throw my Creative XFI PCIe x1 sound card away...[/citation]

You can use a PCIe x1 card in a larger PCIe slot. It simply won't run at the full speed supported by the larger slots.

AMD's PCIe controllers are part of the chipset in the AM socket platforms. How can Asus get PCIe 3.0 on a 990FX board if the 990FX chipset is PCIe 2.0? Did they make a custom chipset like Nvidia did in the past or use some chip like a PLX chip?

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
Lol "military grade", what a bunch of tossers.

Also:

a) AMD CPU

b) High-end

pick one. AMD doesn't have high-end CPUs anymore, so no matter how well a mobo is engineered (military grade ho ho ho), it's still mid-range at best.

G

its funny all the haters that hate the military grade.

the military grade is what gives it a 5 year warranty, which shows the companies confidence in having a great balanced product in terms of stability and quality.

while i read military grade i dont care that it was tested by military, i just see a board that has alot of confidence from its creators in terms of quality.

and the sabertooth series is never so much more expensive, especially if you consider having it for more then 3 years.

but i will admit the amd part is laughable.

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Lol "military grade", what a bunch of tossers.Also:a) AMD CPUb) High-endpick one. AMD doesn't have high-end CPUs anymore, so no matter how well a mobo is engineered (military grade ho ho ho), it's still mid-range at best.[/citation]

AMD's FX-6200, FX-6300, FX-8120, FX-8150, FX-8320, and FX-8350 are high end CPUs. They are often not good for gaming and some lightly threaded CPUs, but that does not disqualify them from being high end CPUs. If gaming and other lightly threaded workloads were what mattered for that, then I can name plenty of Xeons and Opterons that aren't high-end according to your apparent logic.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]AMD's FX-6200, FX-6300, FX-8120, FX-8150, FX-8320, and FX-8350 are high end CPUs.[/citation]

Here's a comparison where FX-8350 is trading blows with a mid-range i5-3570K
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=701

Here's a comparison where FX-8350 is being completely dominated by an i7-3770K
http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=551

And the i7-3770K isn't even Intel's highest-performing CPU. You can cherry pick usage scenarios to call FX-8350 higher mid-range, but come on, give it up already, we all love AMD but they've been screwing up for years and with the desktop market steadily evaporating, they're never going to make a high-end CPU comeback.

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Here's a comparison where FX-8350 is trading blows with a mid-range i5-3570K http://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=701Here's a comparison where FX-8350 is being completely dominated by an i7-3770Khttp://www.anandtech.com/bench/Product/697?vs=551And the i7-3770K isn't even Intel's highest-performing CPU. You can cherry pick usage scenarios to call FX-8350 higher mid-range, but come on, give it up already, we all love AMD but they've been screwing up for years and with the desktop market steadily evaporating, they're never going to make a high-end CPU comeback.[/citation]

Anand never updates those tests. Many of them have improved in multi-threading in more recent updates/versions and regardless, the FX-8350 was not dominated by the i7-3770K (which, whether or not it is Intel's best, is still a high-end CPU). It lost overall, but it did not lose badly except in a few benchmarks that don't scale well across eight threads.

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]the FX-8350 was not dominated by the i7-3770K (which, whether or not it is Intel's best, is still a high-end CPU). It lost overall, but it did not lose badly except in a few benchmarks that don't scale well across eight threads.[/citation]

Wow, that's some hardcore fanboy-blindness. It got crushed in 32 out of 37 tests, and of the 5 tests the FX did win, three wins were by less than 5%. Meanwhile, i7-3770K won 32 out of 37 tests by as much as 30% and 40%, including all other heavily threaded tests.

How is that not domination?

(I accept your apology)

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
its funny all the haters that hate the military grade.

Because it's marketing bullshit aimed at 13 year old boys, and you should be embarrassed for falling for it.

In general, "military-grade" computer technology wouldn't be able to compete at Best Buy, because the needs of the military have very little to do with the needs of the consumer market.

But that's all somewhat esoteric, because there is no such thing as military-grade motherboards, unless it's motherboards that go into targeting computers for missile batteries (and those are probably on 8-bit ISA or something even older).

G

I want an AM3+ Crosshair VI GENE, ASUS! Or at least high end micro-atx AM3+ in the TUF series name. Everything else in the market sucks (the best one was msi 890gx)

[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]Wow, that's some hardcore fanboy-blindness. It got crushed in 32 out of 37 tests, and of the 5 tests the FX did win, three wins were by less than 5%. Meanwhile, i7-3770K won 32 out of 37 tests by as much as 30% and 40%, including all other heavily threaded tests.How is that not domination? (I accept your apology)[/citation]

I suggest that you go back and check again because most losses were not that big except in some single threaded stuff (especially synthetics) and like I said before, Anand does not update those tests (same is true for the graphics tests shown with that tool). Adobe CS4 being in there should be clear proof of that. Even I know that CS6 is far more effectively well-threaded as are many other tests in that comparison these days and I don't even use Adobe CS software.

If you want a decent example article, then I suggest using Tom's latest articles about the FX-8350. They are much more up to date and show a more accurate comparisons for modern software as a result.

I do agree with what you said about the claims of military grade hardware. Those are just BS.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

So you like for your build to be made entirely of feces?

[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]So you like for your build to be made entirely of feces?[/citation]

I think that the color scheme is decent and at least somewhat unique for a motherboard. Why does having brown mean that it must be mentally linked to feces?

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012
You know what's unique? Noctua.
A[strike]s[/strike]nus not unique at all. It's just plain ol' stupid when they make something like this.
Noctua has brown all over it, and it's AWESOME. Because they have brains and know what they're doing.
Some really talented people work at Noctua. Their stuff is top-notch no matter the color and it looks fantastic nonetheless.
On the other hand, A[strike]s[/strike]nus doesn't. And thus it "produces" feces like this one, from time to time...and it's not even a good (worthwhile enough) board anyway.

childofthekorn

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
[citation][nom]blazorthon[/nom]I think that the color scheme is decent and at least somewhat unique for a motherboard. Why does having brown mean that it must be mentally linked to feces?[/citation]

heheheh, poopy.

mousseng

Honorable
Apr 13, 2012
[citation][nom]killerclick[/nom]In general, "military-grade" computer technology wouldn't be able to compete at Best Buy, because the needs of the military have very little to do with the needs of the consumer market.But that's all somewhat esoteric, because there is no such thing as military-grade motherboards...[/citation]
The "military grade" thing just means the board complies to MIL-STD-810G (although this can be very misleading) - it's the same thing MSI does with their Military Class motherboards. The motherboards aren't tested by the military, targeted at the military, approved by the military, or have anything to do with the military. It's just a really crappy testing "standard".

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

And their "Military Class III" aggressively advertised boards are absolutely useless and highly overpriced trash. :\

Status
Not open for further replies.