ASUS X99 Deluxe II Mobo with Xeon E5-2695 v3

Doombot1

Commendable
May 25, 2016
Hello!

I have an ASUS X99 Deluxe II motherboard. I'm currently using an i7-6800k, but am upgrading. The 6800k has a lithography of 14nm, whereas the e5-2695 v3 has a lithography of 22nm. But, Asus says that the 2695 IS supported on their list of supported CPUs. And, the footprint of both appears to be the same, conductive-pad wise. So, what exactly does the chip's lithography do? Will my motherboard actually still support a different lithography? They have the same socket - FCLGA2011-3 (aka 2011-v3). Thanks for the help!

Solution
First off, you must have bios version 1701 or later to use that CPU on that motherboard.

Beyond that, yes that CPU is on the CPU support list for that board and honestly, that is all that really matters. Lithography is not particularly important except as an aside to the fact that all the CPU models on the support list are supported by the chipset on that board. The die size is an internal factor, 14nm vs 22nm, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the size of the socket or package dimensions. It is not uncommon for multiple lithographies to be supported on the same motherboard.

In fact, it USED to be commonplace when the tick-tock cycle was prevalent as the first chips for each board were normally larger dies and then there would be...
First off, you must have bios version 1701 or later to use that CPU on that motherboard.

Beyond that, yes that CPU is on the CPU support list for that board and honestly, that is all that really matters. Lithography is not particularly important except as an aside to the fact that all the CPU models on the support list are supported by the chipset on that board. The die size is an internal factor, 14nm vs 22nm, and has nothing whatsoever to do with the size of the socket or package dimensions. It is not uncommon for multiple lithographies to be supported on the same motherboard.

In fact, it USED to be commonplace when the tick-tock cycle was prevalent as the first chips for each board were normally larger dies and then there would be a second release with a die shrink that still used the same socket.

If you feel like the Xeon is a better fit for you, then my advice would be go for it. At about two grand though, I hope you have a really good reason for needing it.

Solution