At Sea with XPi CD Dell Laptop

I was given a XPi CD windows 95 with no instructions. If I wish to go on
line how do I connect the PC to my phone line to use dial up
service.There is no phone jack on the PC. Also is there any way to
connect the output from my digital camera to the PC? Again there is no
UBS input port on the PC I am a total novice on computers, but if I
can't connect to the internet or store pics, it is useless to me. Again
any reply please reply in generic terms as computer speak is greek to
me. Thank you

It should upgrade to Win 98 SE which would handle USB 1 OK, but as noted, 32
megs of memory is limiting today. You would also have to get a modem card
and a USB card, also noted here.

Paul Riemerman

"Vic R" <virolo@webtv.net> wrote in message
>I was given a XPi CD windows 95 with no instructions. If I wish to go on
> line how do I connect the PC to my phone line to use dial up
> service.There is no phone jack on the PC. Also is there any way to
> connect the output from my digital camera to the PC? Again there is no
> UBS input port on the PC I am a total novice on computers, but if I
> can't connect to the internet or store pics, it is useless to me. Again
> any reply please reply in generic terms as computer speak is greek to
> me. Thank you

Fixer

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2004

Hi Vic.

Ok a few basics obviously the laptop is old in technology terms I think Dell
stopped making this machine about 6 years ago or more and the operating
system is at least 10 years old in technology. you will be able to connect
to the net and you will be able to download your pics but anthing you might
want to do to them ie rendering them will be very very slow as the processor
will only be about early pentium 1 or possible Pentium II and will only have
a small amount of RAM. As for your connections you will need to buy/ beg
/steal or borrow a PCMCIA modem card and also a ~PCMCIA USB card (make sure
its USB 1) and also bear in mind that Win 95 is not fully USB compliant
"Vic R" <virolo@webtv.net> wrote in message
> I was given a XPi CD windows 95 with no instructions. If I wish to go on
> line how do I connect the PC to my phone line to use dial up
> service.There is no phone jack on the PC. Also is there any way to
> connect the output from my digital camera to the PC? Again there is no
> UBS input port on the PC I am a total novice on computers, but if I
> can't connect to the internet or store pics, it is useless to me. Again
> any reply please reply in generic terms as computer speak is greek to
> me. Thank you

"Vic R" <virolo@webtv.net> wrote in message
| I was given a XPi CD windows 95 with no instructions. If I wish to go on
| line how do I connect the PC to my phone line to use dial up
| service.There is no phone jack on the PC. Also is there any way to
| connect the output from my digital camera to the PC? Again there is no
| UBS input port on the PC I am a total novice on computers, but if I
| can't connect to the internet or store pics, it is useless to me. Again
| any reply please reply in generic terms as computer speak is greek to
| me. Thank you

Looking at http://support.ap.dell.com/docs/systems/ptcd/Specs.htm it appears
that the fastest processor offered for that computer is a 166MHZ. Pentium.
That coupled with the small amount of RAM (32MB?), undoubtedly small hard
drive (2.1GB?) and Windows 95's lack of any real support for USB make this
computer a poor choice for digital photography needs.

For basic web browsing you could conceivably get a PC card modem but you'd
have to be careful to get an ISP that doesn't require proprietary software
to dial in that exceeds the computers specifications.

I'm not an MVP a VIP nor do I have ESP.
I was just trying to help.
advice herein.
No warranty is expressed or implied.