[SOLVED] At what point can one declare the motherboard dead? [Help]

Aug 17, 2020
Hey everyone, I hope someone has an answer or an idea because I've been testing things for a week now, to no avail! I just wanted to play some Horizon Zero Dawn :(

Anyway, here's to the problem: I've recently shipped my PC to myself in another country where I'm moving. I've done this once before with no problems: everything but the GPU left in the case, case in the original box with newspaper as a filler to absorb shocks.

But this time, when I put everything back together the PC wouldn't boot at all. I turn on the PSU, the mobo's LEDs turn on, and then nothing when pressing the power button. No fan activity, nothing.

I have tried:
  • Shorting the power pins to rule out a power button problem (didn't work)
  • Reseting the CMOS
  • Boot with one stick of RAM, then the other
  • Removing everything but CPU + 1 stick or RAM + M.2 SSD
  • I switched PSU to rule out a PSU problem
  • I removed the CPU to visually look for any damage: no pins have been bent, it looks in perfect shape
  • Thoroughly checked (visually) the motherboard for any kind of damage
During all my testing, I have left the SSD inside as (let me know if I'm wrong) I don't think an M.2 SSD can really suffer damage, and I also don't think it would prevent the computer to boot.

Is the motherboard dead? Is there something I haven't tried? I'm getting desperate :(

Build:
  • ASUS ROG Strix X570-E
  • Ryzen 7 3700X
  • RTX 2070 SUPER
  • 2x8 Gb Corsair Vengeance RGB 3600 MHz
  • Samsung 970 Evo 1Tb
  • NZXT H510 Elite

Solution
Mobo is probably dead, just like you concluded.

One thing you can try as a last resort: Press pwr button when main power is not plugged. This should discharge moat residual voltage on both PSU and mainboard. Then plug PSU in main and try to start.

You can try to repeat this a couple of times.

You can also try to repeat under following condition:
  • GPU not installed.
  • RAM sticks not mounted.

Just like a last resort, it probably won't help anyways.
Mobo is probably dead, just like you concluded.

One thing you can try as a last resort: Press pwr button when main power is not plugged. This should discharge moat residual voltage on both PSU and mainboard. Then plug PSU in main and try to start.

You can try to repeat this a couple of times.

You can also try to repeat under following condition:
  • GPU not installed.
  • RAM sticks not mounted.

Just like a last resort, it probably won't help anyways.

Solution