Athlon 1.1 ghz processor temps?

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hi there. I built an Athlon 1.1 ghz T-bird system w. an Asus A7V m-board. It's up and running ok, and I was doing alot of research on what the normal operating temperatures of this T-bird should be. It's averaging about 120 to 135 degrees F, and although I've seen many reviews about supercoolers and stuff, I haven't found anything that comes right out and tells you what is HOT or COLD for this processor. Anybody got any info for me about this? I've been to the AMD sites and stuff already.
Thanks,
Phil

G

I had the same question when I built my 1 GHz system...according to AMD, the Athlon is safe up to 70 degrees C which is 158 degrees F...so you're within the range.

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks alot for that piece of info! Did you find that somewhere, or did ya talk to the people at AMD? If you happen across any more info, I'd appreciate it. I just finished a heated session in Jane's USAF, and she topped out at about 127 degrees F.. So now a little piece of mind is in order.. Thanks,
Phil

G

I was worried about the temp. of my chip too...so I emailed AMD and they gave me the info...

Magneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Well I really appreciate that information! I'm still in the process or putting this system through various tests, but so far it runs about 125 during a workout with the room about 70-75 degrees.
I didn't apply any thermal paste to the heatsink, and I went with the pad that was on it. It's a cheapo, but so far it's "adequate". I might even explore adding the compound. That's if I can keep it off the rest of the processor.
Anyway, once again..Thanks for the help! I'll rest a little easier now.
Happy Holidays,
Phil

G

Yikes! No heat compound...you're a braver man than I...I went with a generico heat-sink fan too...works for me

G

If you are still not happy with the temp put a bigger heatsink on.... the OC's will help out on the best one to get

M

one of the first UK T-Bird users....

G

Actually the specs for the Athlon say that it can go up to 190 degrees F. I have personally had my Duron at 160F during extreme overclocking without system lockups.