jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Ok, around the time of the thunderbirds release it was originally shown to us all on a slot A board. Then they decided to release it stricktly on the socket A platform. So, since we have seen it run on a slot A board and know it will work, why hasn't anyone made one of those cards like the ppga to slot1 cards for the thunderbird. You know a socket A to slot A card. Tom mentioned the possibility. Or am I missing something? Could it work?

*Or is there already a slocket board available and if so where can I find one*

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by jg38141 on 11/19/00 02:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

G

I don't think you've stumped anyone. Who knows why they haven't made one? I don't see why it's not possible to have an Athlon slocket. My personal opinion is that things are a little "shakier" with AMD as opposed to Intel motherboard technology (all Intel screwups aside)...and nobody wants to mess with it. I'm not knocking the AMD stuff, I've got a Pentium 3 and a Thunderbird PC.

Mike

Brent

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
The slotA Tbirds were/are sold to OEM's for complete systems when they first came out. Not sure if they even produce them anymore cost prohibitive over the cheaper socket. They probably were producing the slotA just because they had spare slotA proccessor housings from their original Athalon's (use up the old before integrating new). Also the L2 cash has been integrated on die, the need for the bulky housing is no longer required. The newer boards to accomidate these chips have so much more functionality than the old 750chipset. Nice thing about these new proceesors is that there no longer handicaped by an old "trojan horse" ie: the BX chipset to intell. In other words: produce a board in the past that still outperforms the newer boards yet has less updated features(agp,ata66,ect.)

I think that a riser card to adapt the Slot to Socket wouldn't be a cost effective alternative due to the exceptionaly low cost on relitavely high performance proceesors and that there realy is no market for them just due to they were released solely to OEM's.

Brent

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Forgot to mention that at the time of release of the Tbird they were lacking the new socketA motherboards so in thinking of all the OEM's first (Compaq,and Gateway come to mind). They released this chip to accomidate the slotA Motherboards (FIC and others) that were in production and available. AMD new that after the initial month, most OEM's initial orders would be filed and they could target The masses of computer freeks/geeks/me 8) with a much more cost effective product (save the consumer some cash and at the same time improve their profit margin). Bonus was definatly the new ramp on boards were complete by the time the socketA's were available.

SoulReaper

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
There is no such thing as a socket A to slot A converter. Sorry...unless u know circuitry very well, looks like u gatta buy a new motherboard like the rest of us.

"upgrading is no longer an option...it's a necessity"
Visit www.elitehunters.com
--SoulReaper =)

G

"The slotA Tbirds were/are sold to OEM's for complete systems when they first came out. Not sure if they even produce them anymore cost prohibitive over the cheaper socket."

Um... Not just OEMs. I bought a retail box version.

jg38141

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
thanks for all the info. I understand the reason for going to socket from slot- I was mainly wondering how much more life I can squeeze out of my k7v before I have to get a new board and chip and ram. (i'd get a ddr platform) Oh yeah- on that retail slot A thunderbird you got, did it run ok on a regular slot A platform or did you have to get the equivilant of a k7v-t? Just curious.

Brent

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
If your intent on upgrades is to have the bigest/badest pc in your neighborhood, your past due. Me personaly, I run a k6 200mmx on an old socket7, Im lucky it supports Dimms 8), at home that playes Everquest and almost anything else I can think of just fine. granted I have to wait a few more seconds for some of the stuff, but it works for me. plus im always too broke to upgrade 8(.
darn good thing I dont use a rendering program 8)

3 choices: run it till it dies
sell it
Give it to me 8)

G

Good responses to your original post. I would add that T-birds were limited on the slot platform because of timimg issues between the processor and Via Nothbridge. Most slot MoBos will run T-birds up to 800Mhz. I believe I read that AMD 750 chipsets did not have this timimg limitation. At any rate, that is why no AMD slockets were produced.

<font color=green> slice-N-dice </font color=green>
Nothing travels faster than the speed of pain