Athlon X2 without the 4pin connector plugged in

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
hi there, i just built my system and i have an X2 3800+ with the asus a8n32-sli deluxe mobo. i plugged in the 20+4 pin connector power to the motherboard, but i didn't connect the square 4pin connector for the cpu.
i turned on my machine and nothing happend. i heard not plugging in the 4pin connector for the cpu could damage it. is this true?

I've never heard that myself... plug it in and see if it works... if it is toast, you're not going to do any more damage by trying it after plugging the other connector in.

Read your motherboard manual.

Those Asus boards do not need a 24-pin connector. If you only have a 20-pin connector you can plug an extra PATA power cable directly into the motherboard as a substitue.

If you need further detail consult your motherboard manual or ask me and I'll see if I can dig it up.

This feature is called "EZ Plug" and is labled such on your motherboard.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
i can't find anything about this in the motherboard manual. this is a new motherboard, why woudln't i need the 24pin plug? my psu has the 24pin connector and it goes in the socket. There is a pata power socket on the mobo, but it says you only need that when using SLI and you dont' have two pcie power cables.

Read your motherboard manual.

Those Asus boards do not need a 24-pin connector. If you only have a 20-pin connector you can plug an extra PATA power cable directly into the motherboard as a substitue.

If you need further detail consult your motherboard manual or ask me and I'll see if I can dig it up.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
yes i did and only the fans go on. no video signal goes to the screen.

I am sorry, I initially mis-inturpretted your question.

Have you tried plugging in the square 4-pin connector and powering up? If so, what happens?

ttibbetts

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
I have that board the cpu 4pin plug on the upper left of the board has to be plugged in . The 24 pin eatx power plug only needs a twenty pin plug because the extra four are for the ezplug for the grafix cards and nothing else . You have tha choice of using them if you can or not using them . I don't use them because i only have a 20 pin power plug .

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
well my board has the 24 pin socket and my PSU has 24 plug so i used it.
so that means i don't need the ez-plug. that's how i understand it.

I have that board the cpu 4pin plug on the upper left of the board has to be plugged in . The 24 pin eatx power plug only needs a twenty pin plug because the extra four are for the ezplug for the grafix cards and nothing else . You have tha choice of using them if you can or not using them . I don't use them because i only have a 20 pin power plug .

ttibbetts

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
That is not correct I'm sorry but the extra four pins are not necessary to run the computer . The ezplug is for the power supplies that only have a twenty pin connector to give the motherboard the extra power it needs . If you have a twentyfour pin connector the only other one that you must use is the four pin 12v at the top left of the motherboard as for the ezplug it will only be needed when you have a grafix card that does not have an external power plug on it. I remember finding the answer on the asus web site because I have a twenty pin power supply and I need to use the ezplug in place of the four pins I do not have.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
this is how i set it up. i used the 24pin power plug and the square 4pin 12V plug for the CPU. the ezplug is not needed for me.

That is not correct I'm sorry but the extra four pins are not necessary to run the computer . The ezplug is for the power supplies that only have a twenty pin connector to give the motherboard the extra power it needs . If you have a twentyfour pin connector the only other one that you must use is the four pin 12v at the top left of the motherboard as for the ezplug it will only be needed when you have a grafix card that does not have an external power plug on it. I remember finding the answer on the asus web site because I have a twenty pin power supply and I need to use the ezplug in place of the four pins I do not have.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
the psu fan goes on, the cpu fan goes on, the case fan goes on and the video card fan goes on. there are no beeps cause the case and motherboard doesn't have a speaker and no video signal goes to the monitor (6 year old monitor). i have the 24pin connector plugged in and the square 4 pin connector plugged in. the 6pin pcie connector is also plugged into the video card.

And your system still does nothing ?

ttibbetts

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2006
Everything is plugged in right on the motherboard . Do you have a dual head grafix card if so try using the other plug on the card and see if you get a signal the monitor should be ok i used 2 ten year old crt monitors on mine until i upgraded to lcd.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
i already tried using the other DVI port and i also used the other pcie slot. but no cigar. i have pci video card here and i'll try that when i get home.

Everything is plugged in right on the motherboard . Do you have a dual head grafix card if so try using the other plug on the card and see if you get a signal the monitor should be ok i used 2 ten year old crt monitors on mine until i upgraded to lcd.

Herr_Fritz

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2006
3 Power plugs on the mobo, the 24 pin, a 4 pin, and a molex "EZ_PLUG". The ez_plug is only needed if you use two graphics cards without auxillury power plugs. The other two are needed. As far as no video signal, what graphics card are you using? I read somewhere that there is a way to hear your post beeps with a pair of headphones somewhere in the forumz, but I don't remember what it is right now.

krazyIvan

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2006
The additional 4 pin +12V connector on the MB is designed to accommodate the new Dual-rail +12v power supply standard ATX12V Ver. 2.0. (2 X Yellow/Black wires)They have two +12v rails and the idea is power the CPU off a separate +12v power rail. NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE 20+4 connectors 4 pin! Not the same voltages!

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
i have the evga 7800GT CO. as far as the headphones go, that's a smart idea. i'll try it. thanks

3 Power plugs on the mobo, the 24 pin, a 4 pin, and a molex "EZ_PLUG". The ez_plug is only needed if you use two graphics cards without auxillury power plugs. The other two are needed. As far as no video signal, what graphics card are you using? I read somewhere that there is a way to hear your post beeps with a pair of headphones somewhere in the forumz, but I don't remember what it is right now.

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
right. i used both the 4pin +12V and the 24pin connector.

The additional 4 pin +12V connector on the MB is designed to accommodate the new Dual-rail +12v power supply standard ATX12V Ver. 2.0. (2 X Yellow/Black wires)They have two +12v rails and the idea is power the CPU off a separate +12v power rail. NOT TO BE CONFUSED WITH THE 20+4 connectors 4 pin! Not the same voltages!

HYST3R

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2006
ive experienced this problem before and the no signal on the monitor has nothing to do with the video card.

now if i read right and you fired up your board missing one of the 12v 4 pin plugs then your computer did not power on to save your hardware.

most likely due to your first power on not working your board is now not reading your cpu/ram. or it may have fried the ram.

first thing i would do is try sticking your ram in another computer one stick at a time and booting to ensure it all works fine.

then reseat your cpu, cleaning off the old TIM and remounting the HSF. check the pins on your cpu also.

i recently bought a water cooling system that rendered the same exact problems after i installed it. all fans and hardware would turn on, but the computer would not post, and it read a "no signal" message on the crt monitor i was using. tried a new mobo and everything!

turns out it was a faulty mounting bracket for the cpu block causing my mobo not to read the cpu. put the stock HSF on and reseated the cpu, it fired right up with no problems.

other than that its replace parts time.....

velocci

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
no i never fired up my board without the 12v 4 pin plug.

ive experienced this problem before and the no signal on the monitor has nothing to do with the video card.

now if i read right and you fired up your board missing one of the 12v 4 pin plugs then your computer did not power on to save your hardware.

most likely due to your first power on not working your board is now not reading your cpu/ram. or it may have fried the ram.

first thing i would do is try sticking your ram in another computer one stick at a time and booting to ensure it all works fine.

then reseat your cpu, cleaning off the old TIM and remounting the HSF. check the pins on your cpu also.

i recently bought a water cooling system that rendered the same exact problems after i installed it. all fans and hardware would turn on, but the computer would not post, and it read a "no signal" message on the crt monitor i was using. tried a new mobo and everything!

turns out it was a faulty mounting bracket for the cpu block causing my mobo not to read the cpu. put the stock HSF on and reseated the cpu, it fired right up with no problems.

other than that its replace parts time.....

cheetsy

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2006
Yeah i did the same initially because the powersupply doesnt have that connector, same as you the pc wouldnt boot, so i just went out, bout an adaptor for a normal molex to 4pin and plugged it in and its been working ever since

Grimmy

Splendid
Feb 20, 2006
I'd would pull a PC speaker out of a working PC. Hook it up and see if the bios is trying to tell you something by beep.. or since its Asus, you may hear a voice telling what maybe wrong.

Hooking up headphones/soundcard speakers might work with the voice. I had mine turned on.. and it scare the living crap out of me, since I had the volume up too high... :oops:

But if it's set to beep and no voice.. then headphones will not work.

Another question to ask..

Are you installing any expansion cards (besides 7800GT) that maybe your board may have intergraded?

Like sound card?

Bootloader

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2006
Not trying to insult anyone's intelligence, but try hitting the reset button after you hit the power switch. I have to do this every time I do a boot from no power, like when it's been unplugged. I get no video or anything until I hit reset. I think on my computer it's a power supply issue; not enough power when initially turned on, but things initialize correctly after a reset.

Probably won't work, but it's something to try.