AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
According to ATI, they did not cheat in Quake III. It was merely a bug in their drivers.

<A HREF="http://firingsquad.gamers.com/hardware/8500int/page2.asp" target="_new">Check this out</A>

I didn't notice this before. Now Matisaro, before you come in and says that they're lying, nVidia did the same thing when they were having problems with texture compression in the Detonator 3. It's interesting how the "bug" was most obvious under Quake III. I wonder how it would respond to Quack...interesting. I'm not trying to put now nVidia, but I KNOW FOR A FACT THAT THERE IS NO "PERFECT" MANUFACTURER. They'll always skip certain features or "cheat" to make money. The same can be said for Intel and AMD!!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

phsstpok

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
"The current RADEON 8500 driver revision has an issue that prevents it from correctly interpreting the texture quality slider setting in Quake 3."

ATI's claims in that interview just don't ring true.

Remember the Quake III/Quack III test? That's where one individual changed the name of the Q3 executable and re-ran the benchmarks. This time peformance was down but visual quality was improved.

Well, how can this be? The same drivers should make the same mistake interpretting the same game settings. It's the same program just renamed. Besides, what business has a video driver making an "interpretation" of a game's quality settings anyway? The driver should give exactly what the user and game dictates, in this case maximum quality.

<b>We are all beta testers!</b>