ATI Radeon 9500 PRO or Geforce4 TI-4200?

VitalyB

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2003
I am considering this two options (both are 128mb). They are in my price range.

Based on Tom's benchmark (http://www6.tomshardware.com/graphic/20021218/vgacharts-04.html) the radeon looks very powerful.. Yet I never owned a Radeon and I am not sure about how good are they considered on the market compared with GeForce (compatibility for example?).

TI-4200 seems weaker.. But then again, it IS GeForce..

So what do you say? I am quite confused on the whole subject.

P.S No need to offer me GeForce FX or Radeon 9700 they are simply way above my budget.

AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
The 9500Pro IS RADEON! Wow! Sorry, I couldn't resist. If they're both in the same price range, there's absolutely no reason to get a Ti4200. GeForce means nothing. It's just a word. Get the Radeon 9500Pro.

Intelligence is not merely the wealth of knowledge but the sum of perception, wisdom, and knowledge.

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
This is an faq. Anyway, the 9500 Pro's are much better than the Ti4200's. Period. Radeon cards may have compatibility problem in the past, but that has been dealt with for the 9500 Pro which should work well under most os platforms.

elzt

Distinguished
May 10, 2002
Yeah, Nvidia vid cards are well known for their excellent games compatibility, but the Radeon's are not far behind though. Most of today's games should work fine on a 9500 Pro.

One could say that depending on what you mean by 'games compatibility' the current ATI products are more compatible, but then again that's a MUCH more subjective issue than it used to be. There is no CLEAR winner in the compatibilty area. Also it's less about the CARD's compatibility than the drivers, and most things that don't work initially can be fixed later, as long as the card has the hardware to support it. In the case of the 9500 vs the 4200, it's simply the Radeon has more hardware flexibility, and now most would say the drivers are about on equal terms, with anomolies in both makers cards, but no more on one than the other.

- You need a licence to buy a gun, but they'll sell anyone a stamp <i>(or internet account)</i> ! <font color=red>RED</font color=red> <font color=green>GREEN</font color=green> :tongue: GA to SK

eden

Champion
Additionally ATi releases frequent driver updates, WHQL certified that often have performance boosts. nVidia's drivers of late have no had that and actually sacrifice image quality for performance boosts.

--
This post is brought to you by Eden, on a Via Eden, in the garden of Eden. :smile:

error_911

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2002
Heh, I just posted this question about 3 weeks ago ! I've checked it-out so much lately, and that Radeon 9500 kills the Ti4200, no question about it. I've even seen certain benchmarks where the Radeon 9500 beats the Ti4600 - and the price difference made me feel like an idiot for even considering the Ti4200. About Win2K - don't worry, though ATI hasn't had the best time with their drivers, the fact that they can constantly come up with an improvement almost as fast as their cards end-up being widely available makes those worries flush down the drain. If you need even more benchmark info - check out 3Dmark's website and check it with your mobo and CPU with either vid-card, you'll see the point difference.

<b>people are only idiots when they don't realize - when they do it just gets funnier, like a dog chasing its own tail, or like george bush's public address(es)</b>

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Radeon 9500 Pro is the card to buy over GeForce4 Ti4200 without confusion.

And both GeForce and Radeon are nothing but brand names of two different manufacturers. If a card is good, it is not for it's brand name.

<font color=red><i> This is my 1700th post </i></font color=red>

Submit your opinion <A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=28537#28537" target="_new"> Should Tom Fire Omid? </A>