ATI Radeon HD 5870: DirectX 11, Eyefinity, And Serious Speed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Oh wait... I was supposed to go with the "this is so shiny" crowd rather than have an opinion? Let me try again.

"The 5000 series is clearly awesome. Buy it ASAP." You can quote me on that if it makes you feel better.

Now...WTF! Since when is saying, (paraphrasing here) "I don't belive the inital price justify the performance compare to DX10 cards, wait for prices to come down" grounds to get a post deleted?

I have been on Toms for a decade now, and I have to say WTF? Do you now get a bounty for deleting posts on a launch day that aren't glowing "OMG I want the product to make my babies!" posts? Or has moderator IQ just dropped so far that you can't tell a valid point from a troll nowadays?

Gen Y'ers and BabyBoomers... I tell ya... you are going to get us all vaprorized by unimpressed aliens...

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Oh wait... I was supposed to go with the "this is so shiny" crowd rather than have an opinion? Let me try again."The 5000 series is clearly awesome. Buy it ASAP." You can quote me on that if it makes you feel better.Now...WTF! Since when is saying, (paraphrasing here) "I don't belive the inital price justify the performance compare to DX10 cards, wait for prices to come down" grounds to get a post deleted?I have been on Toms for a decade now, and I have to say WTF? Do you now get a bounty for deleting posts on a launch day that aren't glowing "OMG I want the product to make my babies!" posts? Or has moderator IQ just dropped so far that you can't tell a valid point from a troll nowadays? Gen Y'ers and BabyBoomers... I tell ya... you are going to get us all vaprorized by unimpressed aliens...[/citation]

Who's deleting posts? Of course everyone is entitled to their opinion! Viva America! =)

CorbinDallas

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
"As a result, you get just over an inch and a half of ventilation for hot air. That’s not enough, so ATI also allows air to exhaust out the top of the board, into your chassis."

AAAAARRRGGGGHHHH!

Nooooo!

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
the price on this new card is blowing my mind right now.....i am almost tempted to try selling my 2x GTX 275 and getting 1 (2nd down the road maybe ;) )

What was your full system power draw? As your system is close to mine I have to start planning haha (ONLY got a Corsair 850HX right now)

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... do AMD the honer, and put this card to test in a AMD 'Dragon' system... ok... the Phenom II 965 performs not like i5/i7, but AMD try's very hard... and anyway, they offer they solutions in platforms...

cangelini

Contributing Editor
Editor
Jul 4, 2008
[citation][nom]sonofliberty08[/nom]did u try to play it on 3 monitor ? or the eyefinity 6 monitor setup .[/citation]

Yes, discussed on the Eyefinity page, with benchmarks!

DjEaZy

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2008
... and exsquize me, for my bad language, but i think intel's larrabee gonna suck monkeyballs... becouse the competition between AMD/ATi and nVidia in graphics front gonna bee hot... and the performance in cards gonna skyrocket... so there is gonna be no need for 80core tflop cpu and larrabee... the gpu will do it all...

kelfen

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2008
[citation][nom]annisman[/nom]Oops, who am I kidding ? I just ordered 2 5870's. One Sapphire, and one HIS, seeing as how they limit you to one per customer.[/citation]
I had a good laugh! reading that

1ce

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
Very nice card....I'm impressed by the crossfire numbers. I hope the 2 gig version doesn't take too long to arrive.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]jonyb222[/nom]ok, but can it run WoW maxed out on six screens? (probly can but I still wanna know the number)[/citation]
6x30" monitors at 2560x1600 max settings 60FPS...
[citation][nom]jonyb222[/nom]Scratch what I just said, can it play it on 24 displays?![/citation]
24 displays... well you'd need 4GB per card and 4 cards in crosffire likely...
[citation][nom]DjEaZy[/nom]... do AMD the honer, and put this card to test in a AMD 'Dragon' system... ok... the Phenom II 965 performs not like i5/i7, but AMD try's very hard... and anyway, they offer they solutions in platforms...[/citation]
I agree.
May as well find out.
Two 5870s in crossfire, with the best phenom.
Be nice to see, as something like that looks mighty interesting to me.
[citation][nom]joeman42[/nom]Must...Resist...No, wait. I don't have to anymore. I surrender... I WIN!!![/citation]
=D
I must resist... until DX11 games, optimized drivers, watercooling, and a 2GB (or hopefully 4GB) version.
Who needs to pay rent when you can buy two of these?

Chris Angelini, yet again, amazing article. Keeping it professional yet interesting as always.
Now, give us overclocking results.
Just go to your local metal shop and give them the dimensions to make a proper bracket to watercool the bad baby.

G

What is this? No way to test Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master? Oh.. how about YOUR PowerDVD 9? Oh.. I forget.. the trick lies on "intentionally" unable to deliver the undecoded Dolby TrueHD. No OpenCL test? DAMN.. Even nVidia has test to measure DirectCompute. And OpenCL is been out there for a long time. AMD even talks about OpenCL 1.1. And for GOD SAKE, it is open.

I think Toms had improved, and boy how I am wrong. If you still lurking here, you'll be as stupid as the reviewers. I've been switching to anand for all these years, and believe me.. Head to anand, and you'll see EVERYTHING that tom said as "lack of ISV". From enabled undecoded protected Audio path performance to DirectCompute comparison from nVidia 295 to 58xx.

I am wondering. "lack of ISV", or "lack of will"? "lack of ISV" is big bad BS lie. Other than Eyefinity supported by only one game, everything is right there. Seriously, you'll find better review on any other site other than toms. I am done here.

overshocks

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2009
[citation][nom]what is this lack of ISV bullshit[/nom]What is this? No way to test Dolby TrueHD and DTS Master? Oh.. how about YOUR PowerDVD 9? Oh.. I forget.. the trick lies on "intentionally" unable to deliver the undecoded Dolby TrueHD. No OpenCL test? DAMN.. Even nVidia has test to measure DirectCompute. And OpenCL is been out there for a long time. AMD even talks about OpenCL 1.1. And for GOD SAKE, it is open.I think Toms had improved, and boy how I am wrong. If you still lurking here, you'll be as stupid as the reviewers. I've been switching to anand for all these years, and believe me.. Head to anand, and you'll see EVERYTHING that tom said as "lack of ISV". From enabled undecoded protected Audio path performance to DirectCompute comparison from nVidia 295 to 58xx.I am wondering. "lack of ISV", or "lack of will"? "lack of ISV" is big bad BS lie. Other than Eyefinity supported by only one game, everything is right there. Seriously, you'll find better review on any other site other than toms. I am done here.[/citation]

lol what a fan boy.

lorik

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2009
you dont need monster psu's a 500 watt is suficient ,as a matter of fact that is the only reason im buying a 5870 over a 295

climber

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2009
I am anxious to see manifold.net utilizing ATI's firestream or OpenCL for GPGPU computing on it's software. Currently they only use Nvidia's CUDA. They've achieved 5 Tflops of single precision performance for GIS using 4 x 295 GTX cards, but they'd probably only have 300-400 Gflops double precision performance, imagine 4 x 5870X2's, each card with possibly 5.4Tflops single precision performance and 1.66 Tflops double precision. I can't believe the possibilities of a 20 Tflop desktop GIS workstation. Think back 10 years and see the price of a 20 Tflop supercomputer server farm...

magicandy

Distinguished
Jun 8, 2008
OK Nvidia your turn now. Better be good. The GTX 280 is really starting to chug with 3D Vision. I'd love to get this card if only 3D Vision wasn't so damn proprietary =/

crisisavatar

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Awesome card but I think is a bit on the expensive side right now. I will personally wait for it to drop to like 320 or just go ahead and buy the x2 version if it retails for 550.

MrMaestro

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2007
This has got me all excited. Time to start saving for a new rig, I think. Great article, Tom's needs more in-depth analyses like this one.

Status
Not open for further replies.