[SOLVED] ATX 12v and 2 x 4-pin ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
hi , i am making a build with only integrated graphics, with an i3-12100 and a B660 motherboard.
No other attachments but an HDD and an SSD.

Right now i have access to a Cooler Master PSU. its a old one but i guess not that old.
This PSU has a 24-pin + 6pin PCIe + 2 x 4-pin which looks alike with 2 yellow and 2 black wires.

i thought i can use 2 x 4-pin on the 8-pin connector near the CPU but only one of them fits. The other one is different.

is it possible to boot it up this way with only 1 of 4-pin connected ?
is it safe?

psu spec:
12v-23Amp
5 and 3.3 combination of 100w

Solution
so if you were to pick such thing below 300w what would you picked?
Nothing because there are no decent <300w units. Better get a decent >=400w. For my own iGPU systems I use 550w units. Super Flower Leadex III Gold 550w, EVGA Supernova G3 550w and Cooler Master V-series V550 Gold
Reactions: .valkyrie.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
thats elite 350 version 3
Cooler Master has a lot of cheap/old/junk units that you don't want to use in any system. What's the exact modelnumber of the PSU.

Probably yes.

With a decent PSU it is safe, with a bad PSU nothing is safe.
psu is cooler master elite 350 version 3...
12v output is 22 Amp

even if its not for gaming and not doing hard works most of the time?
i forgot to mention that i have a 750 ti laying around and i may use it there... but gaming? i dont think so... if i want to play, i will buy a better GPu and of course, i will upgrade the PSU then

Last edited:

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
exact model number: mpw-3501-asaan

i just tried and it boot the system. but the problem is, when system is off, i hear a low pitch noise coming out of psu... i don't know if its important or not. so i tried once then i turned it off , after windows boot, then i came here to ask about if it does matter or not?

Last edited:

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
It's a low quality grade. Tier A is best, Tier F is worst. Your PSU is Tier E. Not a bomb but just a bad PSU. Very low quality, bad voltage regulation, bad protections. IMO anything lower than Tier D is not recommended for any system at all.
so ,if a system only require low wattage, what would you suggest?
for example , a 150w system..... which one is better choice. pick a for example 350w psu teir D (which is only going to work at 40% of it full potential) OR a for example 180W teir B which is going to work almost full potential?
is bronze certified psu always at class C or D?

also , any suggestions for my system that requires less than 200w?
money matters but i dont think there's going to be huge difference at such wattage.
thanks

for example , a 150w system..... which one is better choice. pick a for example 350w psu teir D (which is only going to work at 40% of it full potential) OR a for example 180W teir B which is going to work almost full potential?

money matters but i dont think there's going to be huge difference at such wattage.
thanks
Depends on the availability and price in your region. Maybe you want to share a link to a webshop for PSUs in your country?

www.torob.com
this is local engine that will redirect to local website
ofc you need a translator
Unusable for me and Google translate doesn't work on that website.

Edit:

Got it. Something like
and

Last edited:
Reactions: .valkyrie.

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Will you ever buy a gpu to go with your build?
no and nor do I need any other stuff like extra usb and extra hard or drive .... just motherboard, cpu , ram .
here is the usage:
left on some over night for downloading stuff maby one a month, office and type.... using adobe conect to attend online meeting.
i was going to pick Celeron g6900 but i thought what the hek! maby once a year i use this pc for CS go and Dota 2 with igpu. so thats why i chose 12100. and i think i chose right.

i have GpU on my other build elsewhere and i am using Corsair Cx650M on there ... basically its same spec as this one but with gpu

Last edited:

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018

thanks
also could you explain this two situation i mentioned?

.valkyrie.

Honorable
Nov 29, 2018
Decent PSUs start at 400w. It's useless to look at <400w PSUs.

Bronze is just an efficiency rating and tells you nothing about the quality. There are also units with a fake 80+ label on the unit.
so could you please read above post again? i just edit that and explained my uses.... for almost 10 year i had a 230w psu and it was working and still do but it have a low pitch noise which is annoying. so if you were to pick such thing below 300w what would you picked? its all about quality and durability not wattage because i won't need it unless you tell me to pick a low quality like the one i mentioned on 1st post and its going to be fine since i draw only 100 or 150 w from it

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS