Question ATX version of Corsair's 2000D RGB Airflow, or similar suggestions?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Jan 14, 2024
Did look good, yes.

As for MoBo being toast, only way would be testing with 2nd, known to work CPU and preferably with 1x stick of RAM. If still no life, it would be safe to say that MoBo is toast.

0 life usually means power delivery issue. Either PSU or MoBo VRMs. Wouldn't hurt testing with 2nd PSU, despite original PSU powering 2nd build just fine.

Oh, I will be, just to be sure, but before sourcing another working machine's board, I tried to power the inop system by running its 24-pin / 8-pin power to the inop board. No response, even jumping the pins with a screwdriver to bypass the power switch.

As you mentioned, VRMs could be dead (likely what was 'refurbished' on this board), which means the 5900X could still be fine. What worries me is the relatively little amount of thermal paste present on the cooler plate and IHS, as I remember using a bit more than that. This chip only briefly saw high-80s during initial fan curve tweaking, and low-mid-70s since. But since low coolant in liquid systems can cause inaccurate / inconsistent temperature readings, I wonder if insufficient thermal paste can do the same thing.

Thermal paste gets here Wednesday, so all I can do for now is wait. DEMCI filters should be here then, too, and hopefully the cable extensions for the LED strips.

Side note, though, I was getting some incredible lag on an auxiliary storage drive with the previous board that seems to be gone now. So that combined with the recent failure to power on makes me think the Asus replacement board had problems from the start.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
I wonder if insufficient thermal paste can do the same thing.
If you have it too little, then there will be air between IHS and cold plate, reducing heat transfer.

But if you have it too much, excess will squeeze out between IHS and cold plate. Not an issue if you don't use electrically conductive paste. But those that are (e.g some contain flakes of silver, while others are liquid metal), then you can short-circuit Mobo.
Kryonaut isn't electrically conductive. Btw, i'm using Arctic MX-4 myself.

The spread looks good on your images and there shouldn't be a thick slab of TH paste (e.g as it would be with thermal pad). After all, TH paste is there to even out surfaces between two metal sides, whereby TH paste would remain as a thin film between the two, once CPU cooler is mounted.

Reactions: Anomaly_76
Jan 14, 2024
If you have it too little, then there will be air between IHS and cold plate, reducing heat transfer.

But if you have it too much, excess will squeeze out between IHS and cold plate. Not an issue if you don't use electrically conductive paste. But those that are (e.g some contain flakes of silver, while others are liquid metal), then you can short-circuit Mobo.
Kryonaut isn't electrically conductive. Btw, i'm using Arctic MX-4 myself.

The spread looks good on your images and there shouldn't be a thick slab of TH paste (e.g as it would be with thermal pad). After all, TH paste is there to even out surfaces between two metal sides, whereby TH paste would remain as a thin film between the two, once CPU cooler is mounted.

So... Got thermal paste, caster tray for cabinet, and dust filters the past couple days.

Swapped out for the 5900X yesterday. Ran it most of the day, saw great thermals. Today, the machine was moved into the "belly of the beast" and dust filters were installed. Everything seems to be working well, still watching thermals. Working on tweaking RGB fan control to make them emulate temperature gauges for the GPU and CPU while I wait for cables to power LED strips in the cabinet roof supports.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TfPyGt0ZdH4ZUEuFk_-AqmEGoWor82x4/view?usp=sharing

So far, so good... Thanks for the DEMCIfilter and Core P3 recommendation, they seem to be about as close to perfect as I'll get for this setup.

Last edited:

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Was in a hurry earlier, so, couldn't write longer.

But i also see that the LEDs shine through like there isn't almost anything blocking the view. :cheese:

Earlier, i also said that your case now looks like super-tower ATX, but i didn't have time to give example.

Yours now looks similar to Thermaltake Core W200,
specs: https://www.thermaltake.com/core-w200.html

Core W200 is interesting case, especially since it can be expanded by P200. If i'd have space, i wouldn't mind having W200 + P200 combo (aka WP200) for myself. :)

CoreW200SeriesComparisonChart.jpg

Reactions: Anomaly_76
Jan 14, 2024
Was in a hurry earlier, so, couldn't write longer.

But i also see that the LEDs shine through like there isn't almost anything blocking the view. :cheese:

Earlier, i also said that your case now looks like super-tower ATX, but i didn't have time to give example.

Yours now looks similar to Thermaltake Core W200,
specs: https://www.thermaltake.com/core-w200.html

Core W200 is interesting case, especially since it can be expanded by P200. If i'd have space, i wouldn't mind having W200 + P200 combo (aka WP200) for myself. :)

It's funny you mention that, because I was considering the W200 setup myself awhile back to run dual systems, but cost was a deterrent. And since the board on the other intended system failed, it's a good thing I hesitated. Honestly, I only took on this project because the price was right and it had plenty of space.

I don't even want to look at the receipts right now. Let's just say my credit cards have gotten a workout lately. Worth the aggravation involved, I think, but I'll be paying this off for the next three months.

Cable extensions for the LED strips arrived today. I was swearing a blue streak because the strips would work one minute, then go out the next, with random LEDs going red. I finally noticed one strip getting ridiculously hot, so once it was removed, things went well. To maintain consistent ambience, the fans are tweaked to indicate CPU and GPU temperatures in the 60-90 range, with strips following the fans above 80C.

Apart from some balanced patch cables and ground loop isolators for the microphone loop, it's finished. Here's the final result after some tweaking.

Last edited: