Audigy 2 Drivers Argggggghhhhh!!!!

AmigaUser

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
Hi. I can't get the drivers to install at all. I'm a musician on an low budget and bought the card cause of the price/quality and features. Now seems I have to get a new board. Creative's support was unable to solve my problem.

My set up:
Asus K7M (AMD751 NorthBridge, VIA 686 SouthBridge)
Athlon
192mb

The darn thing hangs my computer when the installation gets to 97% and starts installing "audigy sound processor support". I now the install is supposed to take a big time at 97% but with me it really freezes. I've found many people complaining at soundblaster's forums, who have similar problem, specialy with AMD processors and chipsets. No one gave a real solution. Upon the necessary reset(after the computer hangs) the computer hangs again when booting. If I take off the sound card at this point it will boot, even without uninstalling the drivers. Puting in the card without the drvers installed the system also boots ok.
I've also tried the driver utility on the suppplied CD to install/uninstall just the drivers but the same happens.
I've managed to get the install to 100% by using windows safe mode, like some users on soundblaster forums mananged to get theirs working, but upon reboot guess what, freezing again.
If anyone got to install the Audigy 2 on an similar set up PLEASE let me know any tips. Help really extremely appreciated.
Cheers

siranthony

Distinguished
Dec 8, 2001
Try putting it in different PCI slots until it works. This is a common prolem with VIA chipsets.

These specs are here so I don't have to repeat them. P4 2.4c @ 3.0 ASUS P4P800 dx Geil pc4000 2.5,3,3,6 250FSB 1:1 Radeon 9500 non-pro 2 Maxtor 60gig 7200rpm 8mb cach in raid 0 SB Audigy 2

AmigaUser

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2003
That's about the only thing that I still have to try but I doubt it. I have already tried it in 2 diferent slots only with very same results. I don't have any IRQ conflicts and my Northbridge(wich is actually what takes care of the PCI bus) is the AMD751 chipset not a VIA one.
But yeah good idea I'll give it a try on the other slots...