Question Audio crackle and minor stuttering after upgrading PSU and GPU ?

May 6, 2023
I recently upgraded from a MSI 2080 Ti Gaming X Trio to a 4080 of the same. With this, I also upgrade the power supply from a Corsair RM750 to a RM1000x. After installation, I am noticing what seems to be low power output to my motherboard's rear usb ports causing audio crackling and issues with my Focusrite Solo Gen 3 DAC. Even the direct monitor and my mic input is more quiet.

After a couple minutes, it seems as though the audio buffer starts overloading and the crackle starts. A couple more minutes and it just fizzes out. Almost like the driver crashes but my computer does not. There is nothing I could find in the event logs either.

I have put in my old GPU and PSU and the issue still persists. Quadruple checked every cable to ensure there was nothing loose. Hate to think it but is there a chance I damaged my motherboard installing either of these?

Current parts list, with upgrades in bold text:

Motherboard: MSI PRO Z390-A
CPU: i9-9900K (overclocked to 4.8 GHz) - I also tested removing the overclock.
GPU: RTX 4080
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 32GB DDR4-3600
PSU: Corsair RM1000x

Other thing to note, I also rechecked all the wiring for possible interference but I don't see anything that could cause it. I have not done a fresh install of windows which I would prefer to do as a last resort. I was planning on upgrading everything else anyway so I jumped the gun and ordered upgrades for the rest of the system with the naive idea it might fix it somehow.

If it's the PSU, I put in a warranty claim already just in case and waiting to hear back. The only reason I'm not sure that's the issue is because it does the same for my old one now.

Last edited:
May 6, 2023
After doing more research, I tested out running LatencyMon and noticed Nvidia drivers along with DirectX have random DPC spikes. Clean reinstalled drivers for Nvidia, didn't change anything. Enabled low latency and set preferred power to maximum and it reduced it by a bit but not completely.

Seems this is currently an open issue for users that use a USB DAC with Nvidia cards. What's weird though is putting my 2080ti back in didn't resolve the issue. There is a chance the latest drivers made it worse so I'm going to try reverting those.

May 6, 2023
Reverting to 528.24 which were the last drivers without the latency issues mentioned on the release notes did not fix the issue. Still spikes every 5ish minutes