Audio crackling during video capture

G

I just upgraded to an ABIT KT7 RAID with an AMD Thunderbird 1.1 ghz. The problem I have is when I video capture, the resulting audio stream has crackles in it. I tried just recording from LINE IN without video capturing and there was no crackling in the audio. So, it appears to happen only during capturing.

-ATI All in Wonder 128 PCI 32 mb
-SB Live! X-Gamer 5.1
-2 Ethernet cards

Please help!

Bubba

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
This crackling with SBLive happened a lot with VIA chipsets in socket 7 boards. There are a few reports of newer boards having this problem but they are rare. Some people believe that its a problem with the HD controller in the VIA chipset. It seems to happen when the HD is working hard and when the HD light comes on.

Some others believe it is due to a conflict between the sound card and the AGP card.

I did a little research and thought it was due to a poor powersupply.

But honestly, no one has come up with a reproduceable problem/system to study it further.

Creative Labs is no help. I guess all I can suggest to you is to try a different sound card. Or you could also try disabling DMA for your hard drive in the device manager.
If none of that helps, I don't know what to tell you.

Ncogneto

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
It would apear that your sound card and your video card are sharing an irq. this may in fact be hidden as the video caprture device on the ati card and the actual video card itself are like two seperate devices and you may not even know what irq the capture device is using when you do video capture. I do not see disabling dma on your hard drive as an option. You may try purchasing a promise card and running your ide drives of of this. After setting it up..(the promise card) be sure to go into your bios and disable both the primary and secondary ide controllers and set your boot sequence to "boot to SCSI". If you are not using your printer port and serial ports disable them in bios also as well as your usb. The object is to free up as many irq's as possible. Futhermore, you are much better off calling ati tech support and not creative as it is the video capture device causing the problems.

A little bit of knowledge is a dangerous thing!