Question Audio input recently has static on both audio jacks.

boubir

Reputable
Nov 9, 2019
Problem: Recently my mic has a lot of static in the background when I use it, it's heard in recordings and on web voice recorders/Discord. This happens on both the front and back audio jacks, I've tested other headphones and the same result. The audio from the headphones itself is fine but the static is there the second I speak or the mic is on. It makes me sound like a robot too.

Things tried: I've reinstalled drivers, updated bios, windows is already up to date with no optional updates either, tried changing the bit rate of the mic audio, turned off all effects, cleaned the PC of dust, tried removing the exhaust fan in case it was the issue, reorganized the cables so it's not near the power cable or any other cables.

Extra: Weird thing I noticed is even when my mic is in the up position so muted mechanically by the headset the static is still picked up by discord's mic testing feature in the voice and video settings. No clue if that means or says anything but that's been for all 3 mics I've tested with their own mechanical muted options. I also still have the MSI warranty so worst case I just have to ship it back to them but it's a damn hassle 6 months in.

Specs:

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D 4.2 GHz 8-Core Processor

GPU: Sapphire NITRO+ Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB Video Card

RAM: G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR5-6000 CL30 Memory

MOBO: MSI MAG X670E TOMAHAWK WIFI ATX AM5 Motherboard

M.3: Samsung evo 990 pro 1 TB 2x

Case: Corsair 7000D AIRFLOW ATX Full Tower Case

PSU: Corsair RM850e (2023) 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply

Headset: Sennheiser PC37X

Pc built 5 months ago.

This happens on both the front and back audio jacks, I've tested other headphones and the same result
check in on the MSI support forums and see if others are suffering from the same or similar issue with this series of boards.
if it turns out to be a common issue, then it should be rather simple to get MSI to RMA or even offer a different model replacement board.

since it happens on the board's and the case's audio jacks i would think it to be more of a driver/audio software issue.
try removing all related audio software & drivers and installing whatever generic driver Microsoft may offer instead.
if this makes any difference then you know the hardware itself is fine.