Audio issues on Asus motherboard

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
I have a system with an asus p8 b75-v motherboard.For the last few days it had been crashing randomly (while idle)and on analyzing the crash dumps the cause was revealed to be something called "KMODE_Exception_Not handled".

I thought it was probably a software related issue as the system was working just fine otherwise.However today as i was playing a game,the audio suddenly became garbled and started crackling-and the output was only heard from the 2 front speakers(i have a 5.1 ch setup).I assumed it was a momentary glitch and so i rebooted the system-but after doing so i could no longer hear any audio-instead my system was only producing a loud hissing sound.

I tested the output with a pair of headphones that i had lying around but the result was still the same.I even uninstalled the realtek audio drivers and tried running the system with the default drivers included with windows but to no avail.

Then as a last resort i ran my system with a live distro (of ubuntu) but then also the problem persisted-instead of audio i could hear only a pronounced hiss.

So what could be the cause of this problem-has the onboard sound on the mobo conked out?The strange thing is that on connecting and disconnecting the audio jacks the mobo is detecting them just fine-however it is producing no sound at all.Could the crash that i was experiencing earlier have something to do with this issue?

Please suggest what i can possibly do to resolve or mitigate this problem.If it turns out there is no way to fix my audio, would it be better to replace the motherboard or buy a sound card?The other specs of my system are as follows:

I5 3450,12gb ram,zotac Gtx 960,Seasonic s12ii 620.

Being you tried different drivers etc.....I'm leaning on it being a MB hardware problem.

I think a sound card would be cheaper and easier...but if it were me I'd probably go with a new MB so I didn't have an extra soundcard in my system.

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
Thanks for the input,unfortunately though new lga 1155 motherboards are becoming increasingly scarce in the market.

I found an Asus p8 b75m motherboard at one shop and it appears to be compatible with my existing hardware.However unlike my present motherboard,it has via vt 1708s onboard audio chipset.

I have used some products based on via's chipsets(such as add-on pci usb cards)in the past but my experience with them wasn't really that good-also drivers for via devices are not easily available,unlike realtek which provides updated drivers for its products at regular intervals.

On via's official driver download page,i couldn't find any compatible driver for this audio chipset for win 10.

So would it be a good idea to buy this motherboard?It seems to have all the essential features-the only caveat being its onboard audio that is based on via's chipset.

Right now i am not very keen on getting sound card as most sound cards that i could find locally are based on pci-e x1 platform and are quite expensive(almost as much as a new motherboard)-so i dont think buying them would be worthwhile.