Question Audio, mouse, and keyboard lag when CPU is under load ?

_cc_drifter

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Hey all,

I've been pulling my hair out trying to find out what the issue is with my PC. While I haven't been able to find a solution yet, this forum seems to have the best replies to threads with the best information and I'm hoping I can get somewhere because as it stands, my PC is basically useless.

So the problem started a few months ago (but not when I first made the build). I started the build on windows 11, had no issue but downgraded to windows 10 due to bad GPU performance. After a bit of time the issue started and I got annoyed and did a fresh windows 10 install which didn't solve the issue. I then started getting BSOD which I think led back to an unknown driver which resulted in me updating every possible driver out there as well as my BIOS. That still didn't fix the issue so I tried a fresh install of windows 11 and I'm sure you can guess how that went.

Initially I thought it was DPC latency causing the issue because the audio stutter was met with cracks and pops (and the occasional max volume static) but today I had LatencyMon running when my mouse and keyboard were stuttering and after alt/tabbing out of a game I noticed there weren't any latency issues. So while I may have latency issues, it seems that this isn't what is causing the issue I'm having, they just happen at the same time.

One thing that I did notice is this does happen under high CPU temperature. I'm not talking anything crazy though, HWmonitor read a max temp of just under 80 degrees. I also had task manager open and CPU usage was NOT high - it was close to 30% usage.

At this point I feel like something has to be defective and I have no idea where to start.

Here's some info on my system:

Software:
Windows 11 home Version 10.0.22631 Build 22631
BIOS version 2802 (2023/10/06)
Drivers: all up to date

Hardware:
CPU: Intel i9-12900k (-0.025 undervolt - the undervolt was done after the issues to help reduce CPU temps)
CPU Cooler: Corsair H115i RGB PRO XT
MOBO: Asus ROG Strix Z690-I Gaming Wifi
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 2x16gb 4800 CL40 (CMK32GX5M2A4800C40 - technically not on the "compatible" list with the mobo)
GPU: MSI Gaming Z trio RTX 3080
Power Supply: Corsair SF850

Peripherals:
Mouse: Logitech G Pro Wireless
Keyboard: Logitech G915 TKL wireless
Headset: Logitech G Pro X Wireless
Speakers: Razer Leviathan Soundbar (v1 - wired through optic)

I'd really appreciate any help I can get here - thanks in advance!

Last edited:

_cc_drifter

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
I should probably add some of the troubleshooting I've done:

- set windows to the maximum power mode in control panel
- set GPU to max power in Nvidia control panel
- unplugged and replugged all cables from the PC and swapped around the ram to make sure nothing was loose

I should probably add that now that I've slept on it that it's not just when the counters warm, but also when the GPU is being used. So basically when gaming on a demanding title it'll happen. This is pushing me to think the problem comes with powering the usb ports so I'm going to do some testing on there.

Jan 31, 2024
Unfortunately I don't have a fix for you but I've got the same problem with a similar rig. 12900k and Z690 board. It went back to the shop about a week ago and they said the cpu was faulty and replaced it. Sadly I'm still seeing the same issues where about 3 hours into a game the mouse and audio start lagging and lights on front 3 rgb fans go insane.

_cc_drifter

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2013
Unfortunately I don't have a fix for you but I've got the same problem with a similar rig. 12900k and Z690 board. It went back to the shop about a week ago and they said the cpu was faulty and replaced it. Sadly I'm still seeing the same issues where about 3 hours into a game the mouse and audio start lagging and lights on front 3 rgb fans go insane.
I probably should have updated here but I ended up replacing my motherboard and all of a sudden the issue is gone.

Asus support was terrible and didn't help me at all so I just bought a new one on Amazon and returned my faulty one. I know it's a bit scummy but I was still under warranty, I just saved their staff and myself countless hours of unnecessary troubleshooting.

You're absolutely right through, the issue did seem to come from poorly powered usb ports